ten

excuse all mistakes

Yara chewed the inside of her cheek, closing the waffle maker. She opened the oven checking on her bacon, breakfast biscuits, and crab cakes. When she saw that everything looked perfectly cooked, she removed all of the pans sitting them on the stove.

"Baby cakes it smell good as fuck in here." Niara announced, making her entrance into the kitchen. She tried to sleep in as long as she could, but the smell of Yara's cooking was doing her no justice.

"Thank you." Yara smiled small, flipping the waffle maker over to cook the other side. "I hope that they can come over." She mumbled to herself.

"I'm sure they will babe, how did you sleep? How is your side and face feeling?"

"I couldn't sleep." Yara lowly replied. "And I'm fine nothing I can't handle, not like it's the first time." She chuckled to herself.

Niara frowned. "What do you mean by that?"

Yara shook her head. "Nothing Ni, I'm fine. Did you want me to put cheese in the grits or just put some in a bowl on the side?" She asked.

"Jayah is lactose, so just put it on the side. Yara you can talk to me about anything. If you need to talk about your past, your thoughts, your feelings anything. I'm here for you." Niara started.

"I know you still fresh to living with me and you're all new to this, but I promise we're all here for you. You're like my little sister already, and that means it's my job to make sure you good."

"Thanks Ni. I really want to open up and talk about a lot of things because sometimes I feel like I'm drowning. It's just so hard because the woman that raised me, instilled in me that nobody would ever care. She instilled in me that I won't be worth anything and so much more." Yara explained, taking all of the waffles and neatly leaning them on one another.

"How about we do baby steps? What if everyday we just do daily checks in? You can tell me how your day went or any piece of information you want me to know." Niara suggested. She could tell that Yara held so much in, and she knew that one day she was going to break. That's why she wanted Yara to be comfortable enough, so that she could come to her when it happens.

"I'd like that." Yara smiled. She starting putting each breakfast item in its own dish, lining the kitchen island. Cooking was really Yara's passion. It was one of her ways that she coped with things, and also one of her ways that she tried to smooth things over with people.

"Mama can baby cakes cook the food for my girls night?" Jayah asked. "Ouu shrimp and grits!"

"Baby, Yara is standing right there ask her yourself." Niara chuckled, pulling out her phone.

"Baby cakes can you cook the food for my girls night next weekend?" Jayah asked. "Pretty please, your food is just so good."

Yara chuckled, nodding her head. "Sure, what do you guys have in mind?" She asked, pouring the grits and eggs into a decorative dish.

"Well it's only gonna be five of us. I'll ask them what they want to eat." Jayah shrugged.

"It smell good as fuck." Lyric stated. "Baby cakes you gone cook for me and Geno wedding. He ain't propse yet, but when he do we gone hire you to cook."

"Who said I was proposing? Your bald headed ass for twitter. You keep trying to be a comedian, ya ass gone be single." Geno scoffed, stretching tall. Most of their arguments always stemmed from Lyric going viral on twitter for her posts. She always made a slick post for the girls to relate to about their relationships.

"Can't stand a sassy ass nigga." Lyric scrunched her face up in fake disgust.

Yara giggled, pulling out her phone. She checked her, Treasure, and Hakim's group chat sighing. She had texted them inviting them over for breakfast earlier, but they had yet to respond. Her fingers hovered over the keyboard, as she contemplated if she wanted to text them again.