Chapter 1 :- The Engagement Day

🌸 Pradyna 🌸

I smiled as I picked up the two bangles and delicately fixed them around my wrists as Mira placed a heavily embroidered dupatta on my head, securing it with ease.

I took a glance at the mirror. My lips curved upwards, making me smile. I focused on myself, and I could feel my heart rate increase. Nervousness, excitement, and happiness turmoiled inside me.

You know that feeling when you realise you want to spend your life with someone, to the point that you wish every second for that moment to approach soon. I was in that situation. The jittery sparkles erupted, reminiscing about how he was the one my soul yearned to be in the company of his. He was my soulmate.

Today is my engagement with Rajkumar of Aryasthina. We had become betrothed since childhood. Finally, I had reached the eligible age, and we could bring the bonds to be official. Our mothers are best friends, and they decided to get us married when we were little toddlers.

The fond memory of childhood I have with him was playing in the garden of Aryagadh when I was 6-7 years old, and while running around, I fell and scraped my knees. He called our mothers to take me inside. I don't didn't remember his name back then, as I had only heard people calling him Rajkumar. He has a younger brother and a younger sister. She happens to be the only person I have been meeting regularly.

We weren't allowed to meet before our engagement, and I never visited back after that day, but Rajkumari Nevadita used to come with Masimaa (Maharani Upasana). We are best friends, though I hate her for never telling me about her brother, not even the names, she always starts teasing me whenever I ask, and my questions are always unanswered, sidetracked to teasing. And I was too shy to ask anyone else in the palace.

However, a few days ago, I finally got to see him due to an unavoidable circumstance. Although, I had not forgotten to keep my face covered with the veil to avoid direct contact, except the first time. I had finally at least come to know his name, Rajkumar Siddharth. Could people fall in love with a name? Yes, just like I did.

"Rajkumari, you are ready to go down," Mira spoke, intervening in my thoughts.

Mira is also a good friend of mine. I considered her more than my dasi. She was to get me ready today for my engagement. She is a lovely and brave girl. She has been with me for a few years now.

I got up from my place and turned around to see my father standing there. All my nervousness washed away seeing his face. He has always been my go-to person in all situations. He smiled, coming to me, and kept his hand on my head.

"Looking beautiful, my Rajkumari," he complimented me kissing my forehead.

I side-hugged him with a smile, "Thank you, Pitashri,"

He looked at my dressing table and took the pot of kajal, applying it behind my ears. It signifies warding off the evil eye. I smiled at him and got out of his arms.

"So shall we go down to your Rajkumar? All are eagerly waiting for you, especially your mother," He asked me, forwarding his hand. Of course, her dream was coming true in a few moments. She was impatient, although someone else was more impatient.

I nodded, keeping my hand in his, walking towards my new phase. The entire palace is decorated, like a newly wedded bride, with colorful flowers, curtains, diyas, and Rangolis. It looked magnificent. Especially the spiral staircase, having the crystal chandelier above it. Getting closer to the hall made me shiver a bit. All the attention will be on me. My anxiety leveled up, and all I could hope was that I was not over-embellished.