Ellie

Romantic interest: Ellie

Warnings: Arguing, gore (slight).

-

Ellie and Y/n were friends long before they met Joel. They were polar opposites. Y/n liked the knights and princesses story while Ellie liked the dinosaurs and astronauts stories. But somehow they just made it work. One day, Ellie leaves in the middle of the night... Y/n decides to break out of FEDRA and find her best friend. She stumbles upon a mall and finds someone, someone she knew well... Riley.
She screams and cries out for Ellie but no luck. She goes back to FEDRA, but on her way, she stumbles upon a runner and gets attacked... Bit on the shoulder. She continues her way back to FEDRA, climbing the wall and going through her window to find two people in her room.

"Where the hell were you?" The figure asks in a hushed voice, switching on the light.

Ellie sat on Y/n's bed, looking at her with glossy eyes while Marlene just looked furious.

"You could have been caught, seem... or worse," Marlene asks, obviously stressed.

"Marlene..." Y/n begins to tear up.

"What?"

"I... I was..." Y/n began to sob, rolling up her sleeve and refusing to look at the bite.

"Oh my god" Marlene puts her hands on her head.

"I was... I was" Y/n struggles to breathe. "I was trying to find Ellie, and I got bit"

Ellie's heart drops to her stomach... Knowing her being infected is her fault.

Luckily Y/n was immune. Just like Ellie... It was a shocker. Marlene wanted to shoot Y/n on the spot but Ellie stood in front of her and forced her to take Y/n with them. Y/n never turned, the bite somewhat healed but was still obvious.

They met a man named Joel. Ellie and Joel didn't like each other very much in the beginning. A woman named Tess, Joel's friend was fairly nice to Y/n... Asked her personal questions and tried to get to know her but never got attached. When she died, Y/n was sad and cried a little but nothing more. Joel... referred to Y/n and Ellie as 'cargo' and nothing more. Y/n tried her best to engage in conversation with Joel but he never seemed interested.
It was obvious as time went on Joel and Ellie got super close but Ellie was still super protective over Y/n.

When they were alone one night... Ellie made a move.. Placing a hand on hers and smiling. Y/n blushed and made an even bigger move... Kissing her, well... sort of. Just in between the lips and the cheek. Ellie was ecstatic... She'd had a big crush on Y/n for years and was so happy that Y/n felt the same. They'd once and then hold hands, or give each other cheek kisses. Ellie even gave her her space ship pin on her bag.

Then... When they were almost to the hospital... For the cure that would fix everything Ellie drowned. She hadn't learned to swim and they got ripped through a tunnel full of water. When Y/n emerged from the water she swam to 'shore' quickly as she watched Joel give unconscious Ellie CPR.

"Is she alive?!" Y/n cries out. "Oh my god!"

Joel ignored her and continued to try and give her CPR. Seconds later men came down, guns in hand telling them to put their hands up. Y/n did as they said and they drugged her. Putting a cloth over her mouth. She squirmed and fought as they knocked out Joel but it was quickly stopped by her being forced asleep.

-

Ellie's POV 2 years later

"I was one of the ones that wanted to go after the smuggler... and the girls. I said... even if we found them, or by some miracle found others that were immune. I'd make no difference because the only person who can develop a vaccine is dead" Ellie replayed the tape over and over on her walkmen...

Once the sentence was over she'd click the button making it replay.

From afar she heard a horse running in her direction. She looks up, seeing a worried-looking Joel on the horse.

"Ellie!" He shouts out, getting off the horse.

He walks over to her, wide eyes and embraces her in a hug.

"Come here" He sighs in relief that Ellie was okay. "The hell were you thinking? Running off in the middle of the night like that. You talk to me... You don't just leave me a damn note-"

Ellie shoves him off of her, breaking the hug. Refusing to even look at him. He stands there for a moment in confusion. He decided to wait for her to talk. Ellie slowly looks up, letting out a shaky breath.

"Tell me..." Ellie stops for a moment. "What happened here"

They were back at the hospital it all happened at. Joel came up with a story Ellie had been picking apart for years.
The story was... They put both Y/n and Ellie under... And when he got to them she was nowhere to be found. He looked and threatened the doctors but they didn't listen. So he had no choice...

Ellie didn't believe the story.. Not one bit. Elliehad hopes Y/n was still alive, she asked Joel "what are the chances she's alive?" and he would always tell her it was possible. He would even help her with plans to find Y/n.

Joel stood there. Trying to think of what excuse to make up next... But nothing came..

"If you lie to me one more time... I'm gone." Ellie tells him. "You will never see me again. But if you tell me the truth. I'll go back to Jackson... no matter what it is"

Joel looks up at the trees, face slightly scrunching. He takes in a big breath, trying to muster up the courage to tell her what he did. He knew this was going to happen, he'd have to tell her but he didn't want it to happen. He looked down at the ground, looking ashamed.

"Just say it," Ellie tells him. "Joel..."

"Making a vaccine... Would have killed you... Both of you" Joel looks up. "So, I stopped them"

Ellie looks down, trying not to cry.

"And Y/n?" She asks, looking back up.

Joel looks back at the hospital, then slowly back at Ellie who looked so fragile waiting for his response.

"When... When I got to the room you guys were in. You were side by side..." Joel stops, wiping his nose. "She... She was already dead. They'd already..."

Joel turns his head, cringing at the invasive memory. He dares to look at Ellie. Ellie was sobbing as she thumps down onto the log she used as a chair.

"Oh my god" Ellie sobs out.

The sobs get more and more intense. As she puts a hand on her chest, he lungs felt like they were going to collapse. Joel places a hand on her back making her spring up.

"Don't you touch me!" Ellie booms, tears pouring out of her eyes. "You let me think she was still alive! You told me she was still alive!... You knew and..."

Joel stands there. Knowing he should've told her sooner... Joel looks at the ground, ashamed. Ellie looks at him with pure hatred.

"I'll go back. But we're done..." Ellie grabs her bag and rushes over to Shimmer leaving Joel standing there.

"Ellie wait!" Joel shouts.

Ellie wants to stop but her legs keep going.

"Ellie! I have something of Y/n's" Joel tells her, slowly digging in his pocket.

Ellie stops and slowly looks back at Joel. Waiting for him to give her whatever it is. He pulls something out of his pocket, softly smiling. But Ellie stormed in front of him and put her hands out...
Joel put the item in her hand and she quickly closes her hand before making her way over to shimmer... Mounting the horse and slowly riding off back to Jackson. After she was a good distance away she opened her hand and saw her pin... The one she'd given to Y/n.

Tears began to pour out of Ellie's eyes again... She just wanted to tell Y/n how much she loved and appreciated her for being there...

-