Chapter 2 || Curious Light

"Take a left here," Guiding Light instructed. "Oh! Closet to your right."

"Your hotel is more — how do I say this? — more confusing... and colorful... It's different from The Rooms." Curious Light's eyes wandered around the room.

When they first met the mystical blue light, despite their defensive exterior, they were extremely nervous. After all, they weren't that good on offense. They considered themself lucky that Guiding Light had no hostile intentions.

"We're almost there, Curi!" the warm, blue spirit sang.

"Curi?" Curious Light repeated.

Guiding Light smiled. "It's my nickname for you! Shortened names are easier to say than the full thing, right?" They chuckled for a bit. "Do you like it?"

"'Curi, hm." The yellow light flashed a small smile. "I like the sound of that."

"All right," Guiding began, "just one more door and we can—" Guiding Light stopped abruptly and sighed. "Oh, no... What door is—? Agh..."

"What's wrong?" Curious wondered. They noticed that the golden plaque on the door they had just passed through had its number scrambled. That... means something, doesn't it?

Guiding sighed sharply. "Okay, so... There's a chance that we might encounter a friend of mine." They shook themself lightly. "Just follow me, okay?"

"O— Okay." Curi looked around themself. They noticed two doors with rusted, golden plaques — one said Door 38, and the other said Door 39. This confused them as well — first the scratched-out door number, and now two doors?

Guiding Light was heading toward the door labeled Door 39, and Curious Light was following from behind.

Strangely enough, they could hear raspy breathing from the other side of the door. Curi was about to warn Guiding, but they were already opening it.

As soon as the door handle was bent, the door itself flew open. A strange and creepy face was inside, being surrounded on all sides by darkness. It let out a high-pitched scream, and almost bit Guiding Light's "face" off — all while Guiding Light themself kept a straight, unsurprised face; Curious screamed and quickly got into a defensive pose.

"AAAAAAAAAA— Oh, hi, Light!" The creature behind the door stopped yelling abruptly to greet the blue spirit. It didn't seem to notice Curi standing nervously to its right.

"Hey, Dupe," Guiding responded. "We're on our way to the entities' room. I thought everyone was on break?"

"Oh, they are," Dupe replied, ignoring the mention of the word "we're." "I just wanted to get some practice in for the next group of visitors."

Guiding Light shrugged; Curi stayed quiet. "Eh, that's fine. By the way, make sure to stop by the main area later." They shot a small smile at Curious. "I have something I'd like to show everyone."

"That sounds good to me!" Dupe exclaimed. "See ya' there, Light!" The face vanished into the darkness, the door closing with it; the aureate panel falling off onto the floor with a clatter!.

"Well, I should've known," Guiding whispered to themself. They turned to their yellow counterpart with a small worried smile. "You all right there, Curi? Dupe probably gave you a bit of a scare — he does that to all guests."

Curious themself didn't know how to reply — because personally, no, they were not all right. That entity nearly scared them half to death, if that was even possible.

Even though the vessel was deemed passive, Curi's hands were still slightly trembling, and their breath was somewhat shaky; but they didn't want to just admit that to them! Just be strong, like A-60 said.