Chapter Twenty Two

It was after lunch time when Can decided to visit CeyCey at the agency. It was difficult for him to go there and see all the people that he had once knew. The last time he had visited Istanbul he made a trip to the agency to see CeyCey and it felt like his heart was ripping apart. 

      He had been in so much pain that day he couldn't even ask his friend about Sanem. But today he would make a brief visit, just to tell him goodbye.

      Many of the same people still worked there and welcomed him with a lot of hugs, one of those being Gulize. " Mr.Can I'm very glad to see you, and I'm happy that Mr. Aziz is doing better." She spoke, but Can could tell she was anxious to ask him all about his life, so he thanked her quickly and made his way to Deren's office.

      " Can, I'm glad to see you." She said giving him a customary kiss on each cheek. " Thank you Deren. How's business going for the agency?" He asked as he shifted his eyes around the familiar surroundings, his heart fluttering with anticipation as he searched for the only person that would know annything about Sanem.....her sister.

      " It has been very good. Are you going to stay for a while, you know we could always use your help." She said, wishing things could be as they once were. Can smiled, " No, I'm not staying. I just came by to say goodbye to CeyCey and have a look around.

      He was nervous, she could tell, " So, I see Leila's office is vacant. Is she at a meeting?" He asked. Deren shook her head, " No...Leila has taken an extended vacation. They have a family emergency. It seems that her father is ill and she is taking care of him." 

      Can turned quickly, " Mr. Nihat is ill.  Do you know what's wrong." He asked as he felt his head spin. " No not really, I try not to get to involved in everyone's business you know. But it has happened at the worst time, with Emre being out with Mr. Aziz as well."

      The news of Mr. Nihats illness from Deren had taken him by surprise. He said his goodbyes to Deren and headed back to CeyCey's desk. " Hey, let's grab a tea and have a seat in dads old office. Do you have time?" Can asked, still trying to sort out the new information he had just heard.

      CeyCey nodded, " Sure, I'll get the tea and be right there." He could tell that Can was struggling with something and he hoped it was going to bring on more questions. He poured Can a tea and him a cup of strong coffee, for some reason he felt like he was going to need it.

      He entered the office and sat the tea on the desk, but Can hadn't even noticed he had came in. " Can... your tea, are you ok ?" He said as he pulled out a chair to sit. 

      Can turned his way, " Did you know that Mr. Nihat was sick? I just found out from Deren that Leila is taking time off to tend to her sick father." He asked, his eyes boring straight into CeyCey's. 

      He hesitated, his mind frantic, " Well, I did know he was having some trouble, but I don't think it's anything serious. Leila had just decided to take some time off to give her mom some help." He recited as if he had memorized his lines.

      " And Sanem.....did she know. She didn't come home to help." He replied in a hushed whisper. " Why didn't you tell me CeyCey." He asked, leaning across the desk. 

      CeyCey mustered all the courage he could before answering, " Because Can, it really isn't any of your business. What difference would it make if you knew about Mr. Nihat." He held his breath, as he steadied himself for what was to come next. 

      CeyCey watched his friend struggle for a minute with his response. " I guess you're right. It's not like I could walk up to their door and knock on it....and expect them to open it for me." He mumbled, his voice dripping with sadness and disappointment. 

      Can took a deep breath, " Well I am sorry to hear that he is not well. Please tell Leila that for me when you see her. And it's a good thing I've made my decision to leave Istanbul." He spoke quietly, looking away from CeyCey, so his friend wouldn't see the hurt in his face.

      " So you're leaving. That means Mr. Aziz is doing better." CeyCey said with unexpected relief.         " When are you going.....I mean, do we have time for a goodbye dinner." He spoke quickly, not wanting Can to get the wrong idea. " I hate to see you go so soon, but if you have too, and your dad is better".....CeyCey rambled on, feeling as if he was on a hot seat.

      Can stood quickly, " No....I came to say goodbye to you. I will leave very soon, maybe as early as tomorrow." He knew now he needed to get as far away from Istanbul as he could. His heart beat so hard he was sure that his friend could see it through his clothes. " I'm sorry Cey, I shouldn't have put in the middle of my problems. It will be best if I leave Immediately." 

      He was out the doors so quickly that CeyCey didn't even have time for a goodbye hug. Can whisked by him and down the hall toward the front door almost in a run. CeyCey knew he was hurting something terrible......and leaving was going to be his only solution..

      Can slammed the door of his truck, feeling the rage of putting himself through all this unnecessary hurt. He sat there for a moment processing what he had learned. So Sanem must be very content in her new life,  he thought. Not even wanting to come home for her dad. She must have everything she wants there. 

      He started up his truck and sped out of the parking garage, wanting to get as far away as possible to the place where he had found her. The place where he had given his heart to a girl that he didn't know anymore. Why did I even come back here anyway....he heard inside his head, as he wiped the tears from his face.

      Sanem was just finishing up booking her flight home when her phone rang. " Hello Javier, how are you. I was just thinking about you."  She spoke, planning to stop in Barcelona for a day or two. 

      " Oh...I'm flattered. I hope it was a pleasant thought. I wouldn't want anything less." He spoke in his sexy Spanish voice. Sanem smiled, his candor had always amused her. He had thought himself quite a catch in the terms of a highly desirable man. 

      " Well yes it was, in fact. I am planning my trip home and thought of stopping in Barcelona for  a couple of days. I would like to go over some plans of the release of my next book." She added, making sure he knew this was a business layover. " I have a flight out of Istanbul tomorrow afternoon, going to Rome. Then I will be on my way to Spain the next day." She explained to him. 

      All the while her heart was breaking. She knew she would not be coming back to Istanbul until the unthinkable happened, the death of her parents.

      Leaving Istanbul this time may be even harder than the first.......But staying would never be an option...