Chapter Three

Leila checked the time on her phone. Sanem flights would be arriving by 3:10pm, so she would need to make sure she left in plenty of time to get to the airport. She wanted to let CeyCey know what time Sanem would be coming in, so she put in a call to him, and also, she wanted to ask Mr. Emre for her vacation time.

      She hadn't taken any time off for quite some time, so she had a few weeks that she could use if she needed. CeyCey answered her call with enthusiasm, " Leila hello, how is your dad, and when is Sanem coming in?"  He spurted anxiously. 

      " Hello CeyCey. Dad is about the same. There's not much more they can do now." She replied, her heart breaking with every word. " And Sanem, when is she coming.... she is coming isn't she?" CeyCey asked, demanding an answer.

      Leila sighed, " Yes dear, she's on her way. In fact, she will be here this afternoon. I will be going to pick her up if you would like to come along." She told him. " Oh, I would love to, but I don't think that Deren will let me leave. With Gulize gone on vacation, and Omer is still sick. Then with Mr. Emre gone as well, she will have a fit if I ask to leave." He explained in his most dramatic way.

      " Mr. Emre isn't there?" Leila asked. " What happened, is he gone to a meeting." She asked, a bit confused. She hadn't been to the agency for several days, so she had lost track of Mr. Emre's schedule. 

      CeyCey made his way to the conference room and closed the door, " No... you haven't heard since you have been gone. Mr. Aziz has taken ill. It happened suddenly but it seems to be very serious. It's so strange that both Mr, Nihat and Mr. Aziz to become so sick at the same time." Leila gasped, " It's serious, how serious CeyCey?" 

      Leila couldn't believe what CeyCey was telling her as she listened intently. " Yes, Mr. Emre called Deren and ask her to take care of things for a while. It seems the doctors didn't give them much hope. It's so sad. So, I wouldn't dream of asking for the rest of the day off." He explained, his voice shaking with emotion.

      Mr. Aziz, how terrible, she thought, but then her next thought was even more upsetting, "CeyCey, what about Mr. Can, does he know. Is he coming to be with his dad?"  She asked, the words where hard to even say.

      " Yes, he's on his way, or that's what Deren just told us. He should be here later today." He said, then in an instant he realized what he had said. " Oh my,...Leila, Mr. Can and Sanem are going to be here at the same time. Oh, Leila, do you know what might happen?" He said in a whisper.

      Leila quickly interrupted him, " CeyCey, I'm not worried about that now. I'm only worried about my dad and how we are going to through the rest of our lives without him." She spoke, scolding him for thinking about Can and Sanems' failed relationship at a time like this.

      They both agreed not to talk about the agency, Mr. Aziz, and least of all Can Divit to Sanem.       " There's really no reason for her to know that Can is in town. I'm sure he will be too busy with his dad and his brother while he is here to even think about Sanem." Leila said. " And I'm sure their probably not in the same hospital." She added, trying to reassure herself that she was making to right decision.

      CeyCey did not like keeping secrets, but this secret was one that could most likely harm his friend more than help, so he would do his best to avoid any mention of the Divit family. It had been so long since he had been able to hug his friend, the last thing he wanted to do was give her a reason to run away from Istanbul again.

      Leila made arrangements with Deren for her vacation time. Before ending the call, CeyCey told her he would come to the hospital as soon possible. Although his feelings for Mr. Aziz and Can were strong, his feelings for Sanem and her family had always been foremost in his heart. So right now, he needed to be with his friend and her family.

      Emre wanted to pick his brother up at the airport but Can insisted on grabbing a taxi from the airport for his trip to the hospital. The last thing he wanted was for Emre to leave his dad's side.   " Emre, you stay with dad, and I will be there as soon as I can. My plane will land at 12:50 this afternoon and I will take a taxi to the hospital. You just stay with dad until I get there." Can told his brother. His heart breaking with every word.

      As the plane circled to land, Can looked out the window. What a beautiful place, he thought. This had always been the city that made him feel good, whole and alive. Istanbul was and would forever be his home. The only place that he had been happy in his almost 37 years. 

      His body shuddered at the thought of what was about to happen and how he would be able to survive it. Then in an instant the vision of Sanem picking wildflowers in the forest on their way to Agua so many years ago, popped so vividly into his mind. He couldn't keep that slight smile from easing across his face..

      As the plane touched down on that familiar ground of home, he took his duffel bag and hurried to get a taxi. His mind trying hard to stay focused on what he had to do. The feel and smell of this place had always brought him peace, but this trip would be one of the hardest that he would endure. There was a mixture of excitement and dread running through his body as  they drove through the streets of Istanbul on their way to the hospital. 

      Once he arrived at the hospital, he got the room number from he lady at the front desk and rushed down the hallway to the nearest elevator. His heart was beating hard with anticipation, hoping and praying the he wasn't to late. 

      The elevator doors opened and the sight of his brother standing at the end of the hallway was the first thing he saw. He wasn't sure if Emre even noticed him as he walked toward him, not  until he touched him on the shoulder.

      Emre jerked around with a surprised look on his face. " Abi, you made it." He spoke, his voice strained and raspy. Can could tell he had been crying, so immediately he assumed the worst. "Emre, what happened. Dad is still hanging in there isn't he?" Can asked, feeling his heart sink.

     Emre shook his head, " Yes, he is. The doctor is in with him now. I'm glad you got here when you did. Now you will be able to hear what he has to say." Can let out a sigh of relief. He wrapped his arms around his brother, more than willing to take away some of his pain.

      He felt the guilt of always running away from his family when things got rough, or when he could no longer cope with his feelings. And that was what he had done over 6 years ago when he let his love for Sanem and his unreasonable idea's of what some people would do for love force him to walk away.

      He felt just as guilty for leaving Emre here to talk care of the agency and to take care of their dad. He had a lot of time to make up for, and he prayed that his dad would be around long enough to for him to do just that..

      The door to his dads room opened and the doctor stepped out into the hallway, " Emre,...so this is your brother?" He said extending his hand to Can. " Yes doctor, I'm Can." He answered.

      The doctor smiled, " I glad your both here. It could might help for him to know you are both here.....but please don't get your hopes up." He said..

     Can felt more helpless at that moment than he ever had in his life...