Chapter Six

Sanem listened intently as her mother relayed the findings of the tests to her. The doctors had made it quite clear that there wasn't a lot they could do. His heart had just become too tired and weak to keep his body functioning. " It's just a matter of time my sweet daughter, and he knows that. But the doctors said he wasn't through fighting just yet." Her mom explained, as she gripped her hand tightly in hers. " I know he was waiting for you to get here Sanem. He has missed you so much." 

      Sanem nodded, " I know mom, and I'm  so sorry for not coming home earlier. I was selfish, I was going through my own pain and fears and never considered what you and dad were going through." She spoke, hanging her head as that feeling of shame swept over her. 

      Over the years Sanem had thought about returning to Istanbul, but all the hurt and humiliation that she had suffered here always came to mind, and she would tell herself it wasn't time to come back yet. So now she had come back to the worse heartbreak of all, to spend the final days with her dad.

      Leila had gone down to the cafeteria to get them all some tea. She knew they would have a hard time convincing her mom to go home for a rest, so at least they could make sure she kept her strength up.  Melihat was telling Mevkibe that she needed to go home for a few hours and rest as Leila entered the room. " Yes mom we agree, you need to get some rest. You can't get sick too." Sanem urged, stoking her moms face.

      Mevkibe put up a bit of resistance, but she finally agreed to go home and lay down for a while. " Mom, Leila and I will stay here, you go home and get some sleep and a good hot shower. Dad will be fine. He is not going anywhere if you're not here." She ordered, hating to see her mom like that.

       Mevkibe gathered her things and was ready to leave, " Girls, if anything happens you should let me know immediately, do you understand. I will take a shower and rest for a while, then I will be back. Please do not leave your father alone. Please.." She said, tears filling her eyes. 

       Sanem and Leila nodded, " Mom we will be right here, now go, get some rest." They told her as they ushered her out the door. Leila took them down the elevator and to the front door, hailed a cab for them, and gave her mom a kiss. " Don't worry mom, Sanem and I will take good care of him." She whispered to her as she settled into the taxi.

      Leila stepped into the elevator and pushed the button for the 4th floor. She stood there alone and finally the reality of what was going to happen hit her, she was going to have to say goodbye to her dad. She squeezed her eyes shut tightly, trying to hold back the tears, but they came anyway. She wondered how they would get through this as the tears streamed down her face.

      He looked so peaceful, she thought, as Sanem sat in the chair that was pulled up next to his bed. She watched him, studied his face, remembering all the times he had been the only one to understand her. The only one that accepted her for who she was. The one person that encouraged her to be the person she wanted to be. Now she would have to be there for him..

      The long hallway from the elevator to Nihats room at the end was busy. The nurses were hurrying about getting the patients ready for their evening meds as Leila made her way down to her dads room. Sanem was resting her head on the side of the bed as she walked in, " Abla, are you ok, is dad ok?" She asked, tapping Sanem on the shoulder.

      Sanem looked up, her face red and blotchy from crying, " Yes, I'm fine and so is dad, for now." She stood and walked over to the window, " Leila, I don't know how I'm going to do it." She whispered. Leila put her arm around her, " We just will, that's it. There's nothing we can do or say to fix it, so we will help him through it." She replied, finding a strength she didn't know she had.

      The nurses brought in some extra pillows and blankets for Sanem and Leila. They were hoping that their mom would stay home for the night, but if they knew Mevkibe Aydin she wasn't about to let any one else take care of her husband. But they would take this time to catch up with each other's life.

      They had pushed the chairs together and spread the blanket out over them, trying to get as comfortable as they could. Leila took Sanems hand, anxious to know what her life had been like the past 6 years. " So what is the place like that you live in. Is it an apartment or a house?" She asked, her voice bubbling with excitement.

      Sanem smiled, " It's a small house. But it's very close to the beach. It's quiet, and very homey.  It has a roof top terrace that's wonderful. I sit up there and do most of my writing. You can see everything from there." Sanem explained, getting that far away look in her eyes.

      Leila laughed, " Sounds beautiful. Maybe one day I can travel there to visit,...maybe." She said, as she gazed out the window, letting her mind wander. They sat there in the quiet for a while before Sanem gathered up enough nerve to ask her sister the question that had been on her mind since she boarded the plane home..

      " Abla, how is everyone at the agency. Does CeyCey know that I'm here? He better come to see me." She said, shaking her finger at her sister. Then she looked away quickly before asking the next question, " So,....what have you heard about Can. Is he still traveling about like an abandoned child?" She asked, her voice taking on a vulnerable tone.

      Leila studied her for a second before answering, " Can Divit,....now why are you asking about Can? I thought you would be long over him by now." She replied, not wanting to get into the subject of Can, especially knowing that he was more than likely back in town.

      Sanem let out a sigh, " I'm just asking, ok,.....I'm curious that's all. It's not like I'm going to go hunt him down or something." She huffed, as she stood and walked over to the window. 

      " I really don't know that much about him Sanem. Other than he is traveling around all over the country taking photos." She told her. " Don't  let coming back here make you start thinking about him again. He hasn't even been back here in several years." 

      " So you don't know anything about HIM, like his personal life. Has he gotten married or are him and Polen still dating, you know, maybe Mr. Emre had said something about him to you." She said in a high-pitched voice, as she waved her arms around. 

      Sanem knew,...well,...she hoped that those things were not true. She had heard things about him over the years, but never that he had married. But she was in desperate need for some one to confirm that for her...

      Leila looked at her, " Really, Can,.. married? She smirked. Sanem crossed her arms in a huff, staring out the window, " Never mind, I'll just ask CeyCey when I see him......I know he will tell me." She said....