Chapter Four

Leila parked in the Arrival Pickup parking lot and headed inside. She checked the board for the arriving flights to make sure her flight was on time. She looked at her phone to see the time, 2:48 it said. She made it just in time as she started through the terminal to her gate.

      She had left Melihat with her mom at the hospital while she came for Sanem. Her mom hadn't left her dads side for the past few days, so she has hoping that Sanem would be able to convince her mom to go home for a rest. 

      It seemed like an eternity before the first passengers started to make their way off the plane, and even longer before she finally saw that familiar figure walk down that long walkway toward her. 

      Leila and her little sister had had their share of troubles between them, just as a sisters would, but Leila couldn't have imagined her life without her spunky and unruly sister. Just the sight of her made her realize how much she had missed her over the past few years.

       Sanem was searching the area for her sister as she made her way through the crowd. She was nervous to return to Istanbul, but at the same time, she was excited as well. Just the view of this wonderful city from the plane had made her feel at peace. It had been a few years since she had stood on this ground of home. And there was nothing more prevalent in her mind than the thought of Can Divit and the reason she had left Istanbul in the first place.

      She was deep in thought about her past as she weaved through the crowd of people, when suddenly someone grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side. " Sanem, Abla. I'm here." Leila said, wrapping her arms around her. Sanem squealed with delight, " Abla, there you are. I'm so glad to see you." Sanem said dropping her bag to give her a huge hug.

      After a long hug and a few kisses on the cheek, Sanem picked up her bag and followed her sister to the parking lot. " Leila, did you buy a car?" Sanem asked as Leila popped the trunk for Sanem bag. Leila smiled, " Yes I did. It was getting to hard getting dad back and forth to his doctor appointments on the bus, so I broke down and bought my car." She explained.

      All of a sudden that feeling of guilt for having left her sister to take care of everything here swept over her. She even felt her face heat up with embarrassment as she listened to Leila describe her life there over the years. " Yes a trip to the doctor for dad was exhausting, and more so on the bus. So a car seemed like the most sensible solution." She told her. " The agency has been more than accommodating to me. I've had to take a lot of time off to get dad to and from the doctor, but they never gave me a hard time." She added, making Sanem feel even more guilty for running away from Istanbul and all her problems.

      " I'm so sorry Abla, I should have been here to help you." Sanem muttered, ashamed for having to apologize. " I have been selfish and have thought only of myself." She said, the tears burning her eyes as she recalled the reason she had left her family. " But my heart was broken, my soul had been wounded so badly that I just couldn't stay here. I hope you understand." Sanem spoke, allowing the tears to escape her eyes.

      Leila reached over, patting her hand, " I know, i know. I was there Abla, remember. I saw everything that happened. I watched as Can Divit broke you heart. I would have done the same thing, trust me, I would have ran away too." Her words made Sanem feel better but now she had stirred up all those feeling of betrayal again.

      She wiped her face, " Ok, enough of this. I'm here for mom and dad, and to help you as much as possible. My mistakes are not important right now." She said, determined to put the past behind her. 

      " How is dad. Have the doctors said anything more." Sanem asked, hoping to hear good news. Leila shook her head, " Not really. His heart is damaged from diabetes and high blood pressure. But he did say that there was evidence of a small stroke at some time. He just doesn't have the strength to fight." She said, watching Sanem as she tried to digest what she had heard.

      Sanem had forgotten how bad the traffic could be in Istanbul, so different from her home in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. She closed her eyes wishing so badly to be back there in the serenity of the islands, and all of this was just a dream. 

      The trip from the airport to the hospital took forever, but finally they were there. She needed to pull herself together before she faced her mom. If nothing else she needed to be strong for her mom. 

      The doors on the elevator opened and they exited. They turned right, then left, weaving their way around the nurses station, with Sanem following closely behind her sister. She walked quietly down to the end of the hallway, as if she were taking the walk to her death. They stopped in front of the door and Leila turned to Sanem, " Let me prepare you, dad has lost some weight and he looks very tired. The last thing that mom or dad needs is for you to be shocked at what you see. So please, keep your feelings hidden." Her sister said, patting her shoulders before she opened the door.

      Nothing, no amount of words, no explanation from Leila could have prepared her for what she saw as they stepped inside the hospital room. A chill ran deliberately and strongly down her spine, as her mom looked their way as they entered the room. 

      Her mom was almost unrecognizable herself, as the illness of her husband had taken a toll on her as well. But Sanem managed a big smile, " Mom, I'm here." She uttered, her voice cracking as she held back the tears. 

      It had been a little over 2 years since her last visit home, but the change to her mom and dad in that time was devastating.  She steadied herself as Milihat rushed over to give her a hug, " My daughter, I am so glad you're here. Your dad just asked for you a few minutes ago." She whispered in her ear.

      The tears stung her eyes, but she refused to release them as she reached for her mother. A hug from her was as good as any medicine could have been. Her hugs had always been strong and firm, but this one was a vulnerable and much weaker hug. Sanem squeezed her mom tight, " Momma, I'm so sorry it took me so long to get here." She whispered quietly in her mothers ear.

      " But you are here now my love, and that's all that matters. Come say hello to your dad. He has been looking for you." Mevkibe said, guiding her around to the side of the bed. " Nihat, Nihat....Sanem is here." She said gently stroking his face.

      His eyes remained closed, but he found her hand with his, entwining his fingers together with hers, " My Sanem is here....my beautiful daughter." He spoke, his voice weak and it was almost to slight to hear. Sanem patted his hand, " Yes dad I'm here. Can you open your eyes?" She said, as she wiped a tear that had found its way down her cheek.

      Nihat gave a very slight smile, " Maybe later, I'm just so tired, but will you stay with me while I sleep." He asked, holding on tightly to her hand.

      " Yes dad, I will not leave you, that you can be sure of." She answered.