Chapter 17

Whereas the next morning had a high chance of being awkward—considering the night before had been fairly spontaneous and unplanned—I was surprised to discover that, as I opened my eyes, I felt possibly the most at ease and relaxed than I had in a ...

Whereas the next morning had a high chance of being awkward—considering the night before had been fairly spontaneous and unplanned—I was surprised to discover that, as I opened my eyes, I felt possibly the most at ease and relaxed than I had in a long time.

The paper-thin curtains above Sadie's bed, while colorful, did a half-assed job of blocking the outside light. Sun seeped through easily, leaving no trace of yesterday's tumultuous storm and casting a warm glow across the room. Beneath the covers, it seemed as though some time during the night Sadie had shifted from having her back pressed against my chest to now laying half on top of me, bringing us chest to chest, with her right arm slung over me and her face tucked gently into the crook of my neck. As though she belonged there.

She looked peaceful as her breathing stayed steady, even when I raised my hand to push some of her hair away from her face and began rubbing slow circles at the bottom of her spine. It was a position I would've been all too happy to stay in for a long time, though it was my body that betrayed me, having to go to the bathroom.

As carefully as I could, I lifted her arm and inched my way out of her hold. Once I was free, I tossed my leg over the side of the bed and reached down to grab my prosthetic. I didn't usually take it off to sleep, but the thought had crossed my mind after Sadie had dozed off after the fourth orgasm I'd drawn from her in the wee hours of the morning that she may not be comfortable having a piece of metal in bed with her. A kernel of self-doubt, if you would. So, I'd detached it and laid it next to the bed before pulling her close and letting myself drift off as well.

I tried to be as quiet as possible, hoping the jostling I was doing as I worked to reattach my leg wouldn't wake her, but the rustling of sheets behind me told me I had not been successful.

Sadie hummed, as though she was awaking fully satisfied, and felt just a hint of pride in my chest knowing that I'd been the cause of it. "Morning," she mused, her voice quiet.

I turned slightly to face her, meeting her shining blue eyes and pleased to see the smile on her lips. "Morning."

Her eyes dropped to where my hands were working to connect my prosthetic to my limb. "Do you always take it off to sleep?" she asked, simple curiosity filling her gaze as she looked up at me.

So, I was honest in return and shook my head. "Not usually, no, unless I'm in pain. I do need to take it off to shower though."

A hint of worry flashed in her eyes. "Did last night cause you pain?"

"No, no, no." The relief was instant in Sadie's features as I reached over and squeezed her hand. "Last night I was feeling the furthest thing away from pain imaginable. Trust me, it was amazing."

"Amazing, eh?"

My lips twitched. "Among other things."

"I'd love to hear more about these so-called 'other things'," she mused, "but first, I want to know why you took your prosthetic off if not because of pain."