Chapter 4

The following week passed without many more interactions with the Morris brothers

The following week passed without many more interactions with the Morris brothers. Other than catching the odd glimpse of Finn working as I walked past the large glass windows of the pub, I'd only heard from them once, when Rhett had gruffly informed me over the phone that the boxes I'd had shipped from Los Angeles had arrived.

Which was fine with me. After all, they weren't obligated to act as a welcome committee or new friends. They were my landlords, and as long as they didn't have an issue with me living in the apartment above their place of business, I was completely happy simply coexisting.

Because the more I got settled in my new place, the more I fell in love with it.

I'd hung a few strings of fairy lights in front of the exposed brick, had painted the opposing wall a simple cream color before crafting a fun squiggle pattern through the middle with thick baby blue and bright yellow lines, and had put up a few of the wall prints I'd bought in L.A. to really brighten up the place. To make almost every corner of the apartment a good backdrop for future videos. I'd also ordered a small desk, but since it had yet to arrive, I was using the dining table as a makeshift work space, and it was seeing more and more action by the day.

It didn't know if it was no longer having to deal with the stress of a day job where I felt like an imposter in an A-line skirt and heels—despite actually excelling at what I did—or just being back in Seattle, but my creative juices were flowing. I had so many ideas for content and the time to actually devote to making them all a reality.

And I got to explore the city; reintroducing myself to old favorites like Melrose Market, walking along the waterfront, and finding new hotspots that'd popped up over the last couple years in Capitol Hill. It was exactly what I needed to reinvigorate the joyful and carefree feelings I'd had years ago, before being saddled with adult responsibilities, were back and better than ever.

What required some adjustment though was getting used to the constant rain. It'd been so rare down in Los Angeles, that when the sky didn't open up and pour, it was common for people to simply cancel plans and curl up at home. A habit that I'd slowly begun to adopt the longer I lived there, but that wasn't how things worked in Seattle. Rain was a constant. Something that needed to be accounted and prepared for, and something that I hadn't thought about over the weekend when I'd gone out on a run, only to return soaked to the bone when the rain seemingly came out of nowhere.

Now, whenever I left my apartment, I had an umbrella in my bag. Just in case.

And today it was needed, because as I walked a few streets down to where I was meeting my sister for a late lunch, it absolutely chucked it down with rain. After twenty minutes of walking hunched beneath my umbrella, my gaze constantly flittering between what was in front of me and the sidewalk to avoid puddles to the best of my ability, I finally shook off my umbrella and pulled it closed as I arrived at the diner.

With a quick glance around, I didn't see Whitney anywhere, so I picked an empty table situated next to the window and slid into one of the seats.

The wait staff seemed to be on top of their game, as I'd barely even shrugged off my jacket before a waitress came over, introducing herself before asking, "Are you still waiting on anyone else?"