Chapter 15

"Are you almost ready?"

Whitney's voice was slightly muffled by the bathroom door that separated us as I finished with my makeup. Tonight I was going for a toned down version of my usual get-up—no flashy colors or outrageous prints—at least with my outfit. I'd gone with straight black jeans and a cream blouse, but I couldn't help but add a bit of pizazz with some bright pink lipstick.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be right out," I replied, smacking my lips together one final time before stepping back. It definitely wasn't how I would've dressed on a normal night, but for tonight it was sufficient.

Since leaving my parents' house over a month ago, I'd been dreading returning for a family dinner, but Whitney had finally managed to convince me to attend one, promising she'd be there to try and help keep the hostility at bay.

"Well, if you don't want to get a lecture about how unprofessional it is to be late, we've got to get going soon. It's Saturday night and there's sure to be traffic."

"God forbid we're five minutes late when we're the only guests," I said as I opened the bathroom door. Grabbing the black trench coat that I'd laid out on the bed, I continued, "But let's get this show on the road before I regret letting you talk me into this."

"Who knows?" she said, twirling her car keys in her hand. "Maybe you'll even enjoy yourself."

"That's some wishful thinking, sister."

"Better than expecting the worst."

I disagreed—believing it was always better to be prepared than caught off guard—but kept my lips shut, not needing to get into a silly argument with the one member of my family that didn't think my recent life choices were idiotic. My energy needed to be saved to fend off my parents.

Locking up, the two of us headed down the stairs and down the alley to where my sister had parked her car, though we weren't the only ones leaving for the night.

"Hey," I called, my voice echoing down the alley to catch Rhett's attention.

Glancing over his shoulder, I felt a burst of satisfaction at the small grin that formed on his lips as he spotted my sister and I. "Hey," he said, waiting for us to catch up before he nodded at Whitney, who he hadn't officially met. "You're Sadie's sister, right?"

Whitney nodded. "Yup, though I prefer to go by Whitney," she introduced herself cheekily. "And you're the brother that hands out free drinks."

"Rhett," he said with a nod, clearly remembering the night she was referencing. "And I don't typically do that," he admitted, flitting his eyes back my way. "Only for special customers."

The two of us shared a soft smile, making my insides light up with warmth and affection.

"You look great, by the way," Rhett continued, his eyes dropping down the length of my body to take me in before slowly rising to meet my gaze again. This time with a raised brow. "Headed for a night out?"