Chapter 14

Having just finished lunch, which consisted of a delicious grilled cheese and a small bowl of tomato soup, I was in my bathroom touching up my bright purple lipstick because I had a Sunday afternoon date with a Morris brother

For pictures that is.

After getting both brother's sign off on the photo direction of the website a few days back, today was about capturing all the photos I'd promised. I was meant to be meeting Finn downstairs in five minutes to have him come along with me as I worked my camera magic around the city, and after a few last moment make-up touch-ups I gave my camera bag one last once over to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. Satisfied that I wasn't, I tossed a strap over my shoulder and headed downstairs.

Only to see the Morris brother I wasn't expecting resting his back against the side of the building, waiting for me with his arms crossed.

My footsteps were loud enough to catch his attention, but before he could say anything—which would no doubt be sarcastic—I asked, "Where's Finn?"

He lifted a brow and took a step towards me. "Check your phone."

With a small crease on my forehead, I pulled my cell out of my coat pocket and saw two missed texts. The most recent was from the man standing in front of me, sent three minutes ago, letting me know he was waiting, but there was one from Finn around half an hour ago. Which was after I'd confirmed that we were still on for today.

Hey. Sorry for the last-minute change of plans, but I stepped outside to see that my car has a flat. I called Rhett and he's going to take my place on today's photo spree, but feel free to call me if you need anything.

I shot back a quick response, letting him know I was fine with the change of plans, before slipping my phone back into my pocket.

"So, did your brother tell you what the plan was for today?"

Rhett's shoulders lifted in a nonchalant shrug. "He mentioned you were planning to head downtown for the website photos and you needed company." He pulled his keys out of his pocket and swung them around his finger. "But if there's more, I'm sure you can tell me about it in the car."

"Oh, you don't want to walk?" I asked, nodding out towards the street. "It's only a little over a mile."

Some of the brightness in his features dimmed and he clenched his jaw. "My leg's been giving me a bit of trouble today, so if the plan is to walk around downtown for a while, I'd rather not waste the strength I do have by walking there and back."

Surprised by the bluntness of his words, and also embarrassed that I hadn't thought that possibility, I felt my cheeks flush. "Sorry, yeah, of course we can drive. Are you sure you're up for it though? Because if you're not, I can just go alone and then send the pictures to you and Finn later today to look over."

"I'm fine, thanks," he replied with a gruff tone, and as he started back towards the parking lot, I heard him mumble, "I don't need your pity."

"Hey, wait up," I said, jogging a few strides to catch up with him. Grabbing his elbow, I pulled him to a stop and looked up at him. "It's not pity, I'm just worried about you. You've been a bit withdrawn this week