|51|

"Don't come into the building."

"I won't."

"They're super soldiers."

"I know."

"You have your phone?"

"Mhmm."

"Okay. If you see one of them, don't go after them. I don't think they'll attack any civilians, but if they know you're working with us, they might."

"Bucky, I know."

"You'll have our locations so you can monitor and make sure you're far away."

"I know."

"Damn, I wish Sam had another earpiece for you."

"Bucky, it's alright. If you need anything call. I'll be watching, so don't worry."

Bucky shot her an unimpressed look before shifting his attention back to the road. "That doesn't help. I don't trust them."

"You know I can take care of myself. I have no interest fighting super soldiers."

Bucky's hand was tight over the steering wheel. "Just—" he started, before sucking in a breath and pushing his lips into a thin line. "Be careful. Don't be a hero."

"I was never cut out to be a hero," she shrugged, looking down to the news stream on her tablet. "I know the GRC is full of a bunch of assholes, but I'm a little surprised they didn't listen to Sam."

"They probably think they need to show that they're not afraid. Especially after everything that's happened."

"But he warned them they might attack. Not listening is just showing how arrogant they are."

"They are politicians," Bucky muttered pointedly.

"We could just not intervene."

"Innocent people could get hurt if we don't.'

She cocked an eyebrow. "How many of them do you really think are innocent?"

"Just because you don't agree with their policies doesn't mean they deserve to die."

"Their policies are killing people—they're withholding food and medicine," she argued.

"I doubt that each of them is in favour or in charge of those decisions."

"Well they're being paid a pretty dollar to stay quiet amongst all of this. The least they could do is talk about the issues."

"I don't disagree, but if we're right about tonight, we can't just let them be attacked. You know that."

Marlow let out a puff and nodded. "I do. I'm just really tired of corrupt people being in power."

"You and me both," Bucky mumbled.

The car fell quiet after that, although it wasn't much longer before they were pulling up to a busy street, the sidewalk and road filled with crowds, news outlets, and police.

"I'll find the best spot to scope out the scene," Marlow said as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

"I'll call you when everything is over."

Her fingers tightened on the tablet as a thread of anxiety pulled at her. "Be safe?"

"Always," he agreed, a faint smirk on his lips.

She wanted to say 'fuck it' and make him drive away, not let him go running into a fight with a bunch of terrorists... but she knew she couldn't. And she really wanted to reach over and kiss him and them him she loved him and to be careful... but she knew she couldn't.