chapter 9

There was nothing  but darkness to be found everywhere they could possibly look. Their heads, pounding incessantly, only making this more painful. Dushyant being the first one to get up, felt a groaning and sharp pain on his collarbone. He only pressed tightly at the pain spot to make himself  feel better, as he looked around more carefully only to realize that the four of them were trapped in a dingy room, with no window or door that could show the way out. There could be a strong case made for its resemblance  to a prison.

Dushyant  slided over  to another corner of the room, where kavin lay unconscious. He shook him hard in an attempt to wake him up, but of no use. He turned his glance to purvi and ishita, as he noticed a huge, red scar on purvi's head and a rather bloated scar on ishita's neck. 

Slowly, one  by one, the three of them resumed consciousness. 

"Where are we!" Exclaimed purvi. 

"Yahan koi kaise laa sakta tha humein….chaaron taraf bas deewarein hai…" wondered kavin, starting to find his vision clear as his eyes fluttered. 

"Clearly yahi uska plan tha shuru se…woh joh box tha, uske poison daarts se zeher deke humein behosh karna..yahan laana…aur torture  karna till we just, die here…." Stated ishita, as clearly the despair  of darkness  got to her. 

"Well, I wouldn't  mind dying right now, life's  not exactly wonderful right now…." Remarked dushyant with a disturbingly dark comical tone in his voice. 

"Shayad aise peecha chut jaaye mera meri biwi se…" remarked kavin, adding to the joke, as purvi looked up in shock. 

"Are u guys…." Attempted purvi to ask, but kavin answered before so she  didn't  have to. 

"Divorce ho raha hai humara…i mean, to be honest things have been sour for a while now…we tried having a child, like, three years ago, but we ended up with two miscarriages in like, one year….apparently, uska uterus, inhospitable environment  hai for a child…. I tried, being there for her, but, it got hard…she wasn't  the same, just this sad version of herself…and i just got resentful… we were miserable and bitter but still together and we didn't  know why… the love was gone, and the marriage died long ago, we just put it on life support cause we didn't  want to pull the plug off…leaving was harder than, staying together is difficult now…" elucidated kavin on his failed marriage, as dushyant gave him a sympathetic  pat on the shoulder, knowing  there wasn't  much to do. 

"Trust me, bacha ho bhi jaata, usse khushi ki guarantee nahi  milti…" commented ishita bizzarly, as purvi looked at her with complete surprise, and dushyant got even more alerted to see what she had to say. 

"I mean, turns out chaar saal ki shaadi ke baad he realised ki woh mujhse kabhi pyaar hi nahi karta tha…usse toh apni college waali girlfriend, uska pehla aur sacha pyaar, bas, wahi thi hamesha uske dil mein…and now, i have a kid, whose father left him, and maybe won't  even see his mom again…" stated ishita bluntly all the ways fate and life had been cruel to her, making her miserable, eating her away on the inside. 

"Yaah hai uss din, on that goa beach vacation, when we ran into each other? We were actually convinced we had only great lives ahead for us…" recounted kavin, as he let out a chortle and ishita scoffed in return. 

"Kamse kam tum logon ko pata toh hai what went wrong….meri biwi ne toh ek suicide note likhne ki bhi zehmat nahi ki…kabhi luch zahir bhi nahi kiya, ki usse koi takleef thi, ya dukh tha…bas, ek subha hum nashta karte hai, main kaam pe jaata hoon, promise karta hoon dinner ke liye jaldi aaunga, apni anniversary  celebrate karenge bahar khaake…she was even smiling…and that's it…i come home, and find her in the bathroom, where she passed out after drinking up the entire  bottle  of phenyl….she , just , left…" revealed dushyant the agony that had been estimated his soul alive, all this  while. 

"You guys lost a person….i lost the only hope i had for a better life…" responded purvi, making her ruminate over her own situation. 

"You guys knew, mere ghar ke haalat. My mom was a gambling addict, hamara ghar tak bechna pad gaya tha humein, iss lat ke kaaran…mere papa ko stroke hogaya tha, things got only worse financially  getting his treatment, then he died…bhaiya ko college chodke naukri karni padi thi mujhe college bhejne ko….but jab meri naukri lagi ek MNC mein during placements, we all thought things would finally get better…and for a while, it even seemed like it did, you know, i got promoted…my salary even allowed us to finally get a proper house…mera apna ghar…i was so happy, i thought i had it all…until, one day, my boss called me in his cabin…he tried to molest me…" confessed purvi, letting even a tear slide down her eye. 

"He said he only gave me the job, so that i see it as an incentive to sleep with him…and when i said no, he said i didn't even deserve the job….i left, i was hurt, i even filed a complaint, but the only action they took was to fire me…" revealed purvi, wiping her tear, as ishita rubbed her shoulder for comfort. 

"Bas kuch saal huh, sab kuch badal gaya…." Contemplated dushyant, as everyone  couldn't help but wonder where time ended up bringing them.