One Night

It took Granger exactly seven days to break.

Draco was sitting in his office, skipping through the Daily Prophet on the lookout for an article that was supposed to be printed this Monday morning. His company held the annual Quidditch Fundraiser to support St. Mungos. Good publicity was all he cared for these days.

He almost spilled his coffee on the paper when a shy knock on his door caught his attention.

"Mr. Malfoy," the fragile voice of Louise Pembleton reached his ears; the receptionist he inherited from his father smiled at him apologetically "There is a young lady that is insisting to speak to you this morning."

Draco frowned at her words. "You can give her an appointment for later this week." He had an appointment in an hour he still had to prepare for. He hated the sales people who tried to sneak in without...-

"I suggested the same, sir. She said she's a friend of yours. Miss Granger?" She sounded remorseful, but at her words he straightened his shoulders and tilted his head in curiosity.

His brows raised in surprise; of course, he had hoped she would reach out one way or the other. However, he had to admit he had thought to misjudge the witch when he hadn't heard a word since last week Monday. It never failed to fascinate him how silence made the proudest witch drop her defense sooner or later.

"You should have led with that, Louise. Let her come in." Draco pushed himself off his chair almost too eagerly as soon as the elderly witch disappeared, and he heard the women talk in the hallway.

When Granger stepped through his door for the first time, he couldn't help but let his eyes roam over her figure. She was wearing a simple pair of muggle jeans; a piece of clothing he couldn't wrap his head around. However, he had to admit the way the fabric hugged her toned legs tightly made him want to discover every inch of her. He liked the white blouse underneath a soft, grey jacket. She had tamed her wild hair into messy braid and her big brown doe eyes met his with a newfound spark in them.

"Thank you, Louise," Draco said calmly without taking his eyes off of Granger as she smiled coyly at him. He had noticed his receptionist lingering longer than necessary to watch their interaction.

Louise mumbled a polite apology, hurried out of the room, and closed the door quietly so there was nothing else to focus on but Grangers bitable lips. He stood behind his desk, his fingers slightly touching the wood underneath him as he studied her every move.

"I should have thought about your busy schedule before just stopping by unannounced," she said with a clear voice.

He shook his head without letting her out of his sight, a curious smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "Don't be silly. I'm glad you're here."

This made her blush unexpectedly and he recognized to his surprise that he quite enjoyed seeing her like this. He waited for her to catch herself patiently.

"You have a beautiful office," she said and escaped his eyes for the first time to look around in false interest. She was nervous, he saw her fingers entwine and loosen repeatedly.

"Your thoughts on the rug?" Draco asked in amusement and nodded towards the glass front of his office overseeing Diagon Alley. In front of it sat a brown leather couch and a beige, soft looking carpet. Nott had talked him into buying it, but he wasn't fond of it.

"It looks nice, but it's missing a coffee table and maybe some plants." Granger hadn't even thought about her answer and Draco tilted his head, looking at the corner. The witch was right.

"Right," he cleared his throat and in response Granger turned back to face him. "Apologize my manners – would you like a coffee or tea?"

The smile she shared with him was generous. "I don't have much time, thank you though."