chapter 12

Getting dressed the following day was a struggle for me. Ever since that night with me and Cane, I haven't been able to shake him from my mind. He flooded every dream I had last night, so I barely got any sleep. Glancing at my mirror, I nearly freak out at my appearance and quickly grab my makeup bag. With my black eyeliner, I draw a thin wing across my eyelids. It makes my eyes look much better. I apply concealer to cover the horrible bags under my eyes and brightness my skin. A few swipes of mascara and I look like a completely different person. I am pleased with my appearance and wear tight jeans and a tube top. As I continue to scan myself in the mirror, I feel naked, so I grab a white cardigan from my closet and put it on. This is the most effort I have made in my appearance on a regular school day since the first day of college.

 This is the most effort I have made in my appearance on a regular school day since the first day of college

(here's the makeup look reference; not the outfit)

I checked the time to see that I had enough time to stop by the coffee shop and grab my favorite drink. I texted Tariq asking if he wanted to join me, and surprisingly he agreed.

"You look different today," he says as we meet at the coffee shop. He licks his thumb and tries to reach out and touch my face, but I immediately slap his hand away.

"You're such an asshole." I laugh, and he smiles. We haven't spoken about the Cane issue since the meeting with Monet, and I am grateful. I am not ready to talk about him yet; it's almost repulsive.

Tariq and I were catching up when our phones vibrated with a text from Monet.

"9532 Queens Blvd. Now." The text reads.

"Shit, we only got an hour until class starts," I tell Tariq. How in the world will we make it to Queens and back and still be on time for class?

"Let's just find out what she wants," Tariq says, walking toward the student parking lot.

"It's a 40-minute drive there and back," I said, trying to stop him, but he ignored me and continued walking away.

"So much for being on time for class today." I huffed before following behind him.

~

We pull up to the bar. And I get a sudden flashback of what happened last time I was here. Even though it has been a few days since it happened, it almost felt like it happened just yesterday.

"Lock the door and come sit down," Monet commands, ushering us to the stools beside her.

"We got class in an hour, so..." Tariq trails off, but Monet cuts him in a second.

"That wasn't a question. Dru, get these kids their product."

Tariq and I glance at the small stack of products and back at each other. This is a joke. She summoned us like she had some big for us when this was less than half of what we usually sell.

"Hold on. This ain't our normal order." Tariq speaks up.

" I know that," Monet replies, not giving us much explanation.