chapter 11

Loud banging at the door broke the silence that was settled in the small dorm room. I flinched at the unexpected noise but decided to ignore it because I didn't have the energy to get up. However, as I started to doze off again, the knocking got louder.

"Go away!" I groaned as I pressed my pillows to cover my ears and closed my eyes tighter, ignoring the loud knocking.

"Ryan Renée Ross! If you don't open this door right now girl!" A woman's voice demanded behind the door, and I knew exactly who it was.

"Mom?" I questioned, why the hell is she here I thought to myself. As I ripped off my blankets from my body. I don't even bother putting on my slippers and I make my way to open the door.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her as my mother pushes past me and goes straight into my dorm room.

"This is why you haven't been answering your phone? You're still sleeping when you have class soon! And you know it's parent's weekend." She shouts, before resuming her conversation back on the phone.

I groan in frustration. And make my way to check myself in the mirror, wiping the sleep from my eyes. I didn't have a whole lot of time to get ready, not to mention an aggravating woman standing behind me. I slipped off my bonnet and began doing my hair.

"Honey, please tell me you haven't worn your hair in that ratchet mess you call a ponytail. And What the hell happened to your face!" Once she finally got off the phone.

  And What the hell happened to your face!" Once she finally got off the phone

"Mom-" I tried to say, but she immediately interrupted me.

"Don't mom me. You must've been partying all night when you hit your head on something. What have I told you huh? You need to fix yourself up and keep yourself presentable at all times. You know what, take a shower so I can do your hair and makeup for class. I'll pick out an outfit while you do that."

I didn't even bother auguring at this point. She always puts so much pressure on me to be perfect all the time, it's exhausting. And treating me like a child, only makes it ten times worst. However, I would only have to deal with her for today, which I was hoping goes by as fast as possible.

~

My mother had just put the last finishing touches on my hair before she asked me to stand up and look at myself. I moved over to my full length to see what I looked like.

"Great, I look like a middle school English teacher," I said hating everything about my outfit and hair.

"Oh, hush girl! You look great and very mature. And now your hair will cover up that head wound. Wait, come on let me take a picture so I can send it to your father."

"If he actually cared, he would've shown up." I sighed posing, with a fake tight smile.

" I sighed posing, with a fake tight smile