Chapter 15 - Demon and a Painting

Life seemed dull after solving Senior Lin's legendary case. The demon in the painting had been found, her case resolved and she had been absolved of all accusations.

Kai sighed. He felt strangely empty. The mystery of his obsession was gone. The Council had allowed him to keep the infamous painting and now it hung in his chambers.

Since Lifen's departure a few weeks ago, he had taken to staring at it imagining the demon there. Although their acquaintance was short, he already missed her. In his heart and mind, she had always been 'his case' and 'his demon'. It had fueled his desire to find and free her.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if her gray door was red? He remembered her telling him that she had built the house.

Suddenly, there was a gust of wind. Kai turned to see the curtains fluttering wildly at his window but it settled quickly. Ensuring nothing was amiss, he turned back to the painting.

With a start, he noticed the lights on and the door was red! He inhaled sharply and his heart leapt in his chest. As he watched, the colors seemed to brightened and he could have sworn the flowers started swaying in a non-existence breeze. Was he dreaming?

"Li-Lifen?" he called uncertainly. "Is that you?"

Before he could call out again, the red door open and a woman's figure came out. She increased in size as she walked gracefully along the stone path towards him. The demon hunter sat transfixed, his heart beating wildly.

Finally, the lovely woman reached the edge and Lifen stepped out of the painting.

"I hope you don't mind me staying in there. I've gotten so accustomed to it that the real world is too noisy for me now."

"Stay there? I thought you hated it in the painting," exclaimed Kai.

"No, I only hated being bound to it. What pained me was my loss of freedom. It's o'kay if I can move in and out freely."

"Also, I heard that you barely went out hunting anymore."

"Yeah, well ..."

"I'm here to tell you to get your gear. We've got work to do."

"We?" asked Kai.

"I've got work for you. There is a demon cat on the loose. It's really feisty and I thought you might be the best man to catch it."

"Where is it?" asked Kai getting up. A million things started running through his head immediately. He would have to gather his hunting gear, gourds, food supplies and get permission to go out of the Sect.

"I'll show you the way. I'm coming with you," Lifen replied blithely.

"You? Why?"

"Because you're weak and you might need my help. Besides, I realized how exciting and more fulfilling it is to help you catch unruly demons instead of just planting vegetation and enjoying my beautiful flowers. I've always thought it would be better for me to stay away from worldly events. However, after seeing you struggling so much to do your job ..."

"I did not struggle," protested Kai, "... there were three of them!"

"Whatever," she said nonchalantly. "Anyways, my point is, you need my help."

"No, I don't!"

"Yes, you do. I'll meet you at the main gates after you get yourself in order. Meanwhile, I'll tidy up my house a bit so that I can come back to a clean home."

What a bossy demon, bristled Kai as he watch her dissolve into the familiar purple cloud and vanish into the painting. Why did he never realize how pushy she was? Lifen seemed to take it upon herself to protect him. With her by his side, distinguishing the good from the bad demons should be easier, he mused.

Kai inhaled deeply and broke into a grin. A new excitement filling him with vigour. Demon hunting with a demon! What a novelty! Life was going to be very busy if she kept 'finding' demons for him to catch.

With renewed enthusiasm, the demon hunter got up to gather his gear.

- END -

Inspired by The Painted Wall by Pu Songling (Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio)