Chapter 2 - Demon in a Painting

Shadows lengthen as the pale yellow sun marched across the sky. Soon the hot sunny day would be gone and cool evening will take its place.

Ever since Shang had won the scroll from the loser, Ding at the gambling den a few days ago, he had experimented with it.

Ding had claimed there was a demon in the scroll who could make him rich. All he had to do was utter the inscriptions scribbled almost illegibly at the back of the scroll. Someone in the past had found out the secret and jotted it down hastily. It would allow the demon to come out and do his bidding but not release her from the magic which bound her to her painting.

"Then why didn't you use her? Why aren't you rich?" Shang had questioned Ding suspiciously.

"Aiyaaa! Are you stupid?" slurred the half drunken Ding. "I don't mess with women even if she is not human. My jealous wife will kill me!!"

"Really? So you did try?"

"Yeah, she caught me trying to use the spell and beat me up," Ding said sadly. "Imagine she being jealous of a picture! But I've got to hand it to the artist, the girl in the painting really is pretty!"

"It's rumored to have been drawn by some famous artist but I can't keep it. I'm supposed to sell it as my wife won't allow it in the house, that's why I have it with me," he continued. "So it's valuable and can be used for betting, right?"

"What kind of demon is she? Is she dangerous?"

"Probably not. It's just a pretty picture of a house in the mountains. Sometimes I see the girl peeking out the windows, sometimes she's out tending to the flowers. What could be so dangerous about that?"

"She moves around? How does a picture do that? Are you telling me the truth?"

"I told you, its special ... and worth some money. You can always sell it if you don't like it or not brave enough to use the demon!"

"Look who's talking!"

"C'mon, make up your mind already. Is it good enough to use for betting or not?" asked Ding anxiously. He was itching to play one more round. "If you won't accept it, I'll ask around for someone who will. I'm sure I can win back something today. I need to win back my wages at the very least."

"Hmmm. I guess its o'kay then. I'll accept the painting. If you lose it's mine."

"Good, good. You can either use the demon in there or sell it, I don't care. Let's play!"

Five minutes later, Ding had lost both his week's wages and his painting. Shang left Ding wallowing in misery and regret. Now his wife was going to kill him ... again. Ding was a gambling addict, he just couldn't help himself. His gambling urges were too great to ignore. After a good scolding and probably a well earned beating from his long suffering wife, he'd probably be back at the betting tables.

The first time Shang had uttered the incantation, nothing happened. Maybe he said it wrong? So he had studied the scroll. It was a painting of a small cottage in the mountains. The little house had a thatched roof and white walls with creepers climbing up it. In front of the cottage, a large garden patch with many types of vegetables was thriving. Colourful flowers of all kinds spread from its front pouch while tall trees surrounded it. It was a beautiful scenic picture if he appreciated art. He did not.

"What a boring picture," he muttered. "Where's the girl? I don't see her anywhere. Did that useless Ding lie to me?"

After some time, he gave up. However, the next time he looked at it, he saw a figure bending over the flower beds.

"I'm sure she was not there before!" he exclaimed. "Is she really the demon girl?"

Excitedly, he tried reciting the incantation again. This time, the small figure actually moved! She straighten up and turned to look at him, revealing her face at last. Shang was stunned. She was beautiful! No, he corrected himself, not just beautiful, she was absolutely gorgeous! But more importantly, she existed! Ding had not lied after all.

Shang grinned as opportunities opened before his eyes. He would be rich! Richer than he had ever dreamt possible.

The woman walked stiffly towards him as if a force compelled her to do so. As she did, she grew bigger and bigger. Finally, she stepped out of the painting and stood in front of him. When realization hit him, Shang gaped and backed away, suddenly afraid for his life.

A demon! A real life demon!

However, her next actions dispelled his fear. She stood silently before the terrified man and bowed her head respectfully.

"Greetings. Since you are now the owner of the scroll, you are also my new master. How may I help you?"

"Really? You'll do whatever I want?" Shang asked in amazement.

"Ha, ha, ha, not really!" she smirked."You really believe all that nonsense?"

"But Ding said ..."

"Ding? Who's Ding?" she asked in a melodious dulcet voice. "Oh! You mean that coward who is afraid of his wife! He should be! He never takes care of his family and gamblesallhis money away. You should see what his poor wife has to put up with!"

"You women always stick together huh?" he fired back, disgruntled at her candor. It was not what he expected.

"It's true. I'm just saying it like it is," she retorted. "Now may I go back in? I'm watering my flowers. They need it to stay fresh and healthy."

"You can after you do something for me." Shang's smile widened. This demon girl was not dangerous at all. She only wanted to go back into her boring painting.

"What? What do you want me to do?"

"You're a demon right? Make me rich!"

"Oh? And how am I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know. Ding said ..."

The demon laughed. "Ding doesn't know anything. Whatever he told you, someone told him and so did the person before him and so on. Ding did not even manage to speak to me."

"So now what?"

Lifen shrugged. She was not going to help him. These mortals were all greedy. Not one of them appreciated her painting and all her effort in the upkeep of her tiny home. They were only interested in using her to obtain material wealth. Only the powerful demon hunter did, once. It seemed so long ago. He was mortal and probably old now. She wondered briefly if he was still alive, then dismissed the thought.

The demon hated them ... humans. They were not fair. Even the original demon hunter had not given her a chance to explain or defend herself! Now she was forever trapped in this painting unless she could somehow find another demon hunter who knew the proper spells to release her. Lifen had come to accept that that was impossible but accepting her unjust fate was also hard.

"Please, lets just live our own lives. Let me go back to my world and be at peace."

She stepped backwards and started to dissolve. Her move to return triggered Shang. Instinctively he shouted, "Ignore me and I will destroy the painting!"

Lifen stopped short. She could never allow that to happen. Destroying the painting while she was still bound to it meant that she would be destroyed as well!

"No! Please!" she blurted.

"Aha!" smirked Shang with a gleeful glint in his eye. He had found her secret and the means to control her. "So that's your weakness! Now you will have to do as I say."

Lifen had managed to escape and avoid many masters' bidding by simply hiding or refusing to help. Over the years, less than a handful had actually used her abilities. It seems fate was not on her side this time.

The demon's shoulders slumped in defeat as she listened to his plans.