Chapter 13 - Lifen's Story

"I am Lifen," the flower demon started simply. Her sweet singsong voice was a pleasure to listen to. "I was once living peacefully in a secluded glade in Northern Liang."

She took a breath and her large luminous purple eyes misted with memory.

"Having existed for some time, my territory covered a large portion of the forest and several human villages. One day, children of the nearest village stumbled upon my little clearing by accident. I believe they were chasing some rabbits."

"I came out of my cottage to warn them away as my flowers can cause discomfort to your kind."

That was an understatement, thought Kai remembering the deadly nightshade growing around her dilapidated hut. The pretty flowers were poisonous and could be lethal.

"But they ignored me. The human children were rowdy and chased the rabbits into my garden. Then they trampled my vegetable patch and squished my herbs. I shouted at them to get away before they could touch my dangerous flowers but they shouted back at me rudely."

"I reprimanded them for ruining my plants. Unfortunately, they took offense to my scoldings."

Lifen paused, then lifted her head to face the Council. "Thereafter, they came everyday to destroy my garden! I soon had nothing to eat!"

The distraught flower demon had everyone's attention. Pity and anger on her behalf showed on more than one person's expression.

"What do you eat?" asked Senior Ching.

"I consume the tasty pollen of flowering vegetables, roots, herbs and my flowers."

"So you don't eat meat? What about fish or ... human flesh?"

She made a disgusted face. "That's gross! I don't even eat what I plant, only their pollen and breathe in their delicious scents."

"I let the animals eat my vegetables and fruits. Most times I save the good ones and give it to humans who want them. I keep my herbs and flowers."

At Senior Ching's nod, Lifen continued her story.

"At that time, I believed it was a simple misunderstanding which could be resolved easily. I did not want to hurt them. So I went to the village to confront the humans and tell them what their children had been up to. I hoped they would at least keep them away from my place."

"Did they not?"

"No."

"The humans did nothing to stop those little devils! It got much worse after that. Not only did the kids come around to destroy everything, they started harassing me."

"How so?"

"They brought more friends and started throwing stuff at my house."

"Stuff? Like what?" wandered someone aloud.

Anger crossed her beautiful face and her eyes sparkled fiercely. "They threw rotten eggs, moldy vegetables, stinky chicken blood and horrible livestock guts. Anything disgusting they could find, they would bring it and defile my house!"

"I chased them away time and time again but to no avail. I gave them many chances and tried to ask the adult humans' help. It did not directly concern them so they paid me no heed. Finally when I could not take it anymore ..."

Everyone was tensed and sitting on the edge of their seats. All this information was new. None of this was in Senior Lin's report.

" ... I retaliated by returning the favour."

"What exactly did you do? Did you harm anyone?" Senior Ching asked sharply.

"Of course not. I only did what they did to me. Since the humans destroyed my food and house, I destroyed their food and houses." Lifen crossed her arms in defensive gesture daring anyone to fault her. "I dried out their wheat fields, poison their animals and frightened the humans so that they could not rest ... just like me."

"Soon they had no grain nor animals to eat. The forests nearby were empty of game as I had chased all away. They also had no peace ... I made loud awful wailing noises and broke things, like their tubs of drinking water and maybe a supporting pole or two. Parts of houses collapsed but never when anyone was inside."

"Things came to an end when a human demon hunter passed by the village and the Head villager asked him to catch me. They said they needed help with a troublesome demon who was terrorizing the village."

"You all know the rest," Lifen finished quietly wiping tears from her eyes. It was hard to recall and live through the injustice done to her.

There was a moment of silence as her side of the story was assimilated, digested and compared to Sect records.

"How do we know what you're saying is the truth?" asked Senior Liu, a veteran demon hunter seated on Senior Ching's left.

"Senior ... the truth spell ..."

Senior Liu held up his hand to stop Kai.

"I know Kai but demons are devious. There are more ways to lie than just through words. You now as well as I that if she believes what she is saying is the truth, then to her, it is so."

"As I have testified at our preliminary discussions, Master Chu has confirmed her past and apologized on his village's behalf. I have also submitted a journal from the victim village," said Kai indicating the loosely bound book in front of Senior Ching. "It is a journal from the Head villager's family passed down from generations to generations."

"Oh? Have you read it Ching?" asked Senior Liu turning to his right.

"I've skimmed through it quickly. It's a history of disturbances the village endured, the time period and circumstances of what happened. Since we were short of time, I was going to summarize it after the flower demon completed her testimony. It should be included in our discussion on this matter."

"What does it say? Are the village's problems relevant to the demon?"

Lifen jerked her head up, then lowered it in dismay. She was doomed. If the humans wrote what happened all those years ago, it would not help her. After all, they were the root of all her troubles.

She closed her eyes losing all hope. She would be stuck in that painting for the rest of her miserable existence.

"It's o'kay. I've read it," Kai whispered encouragingly. "Just a little longer and everything will be alright, I promise."

"Ahem," Senior Ching cleared his throat. "Kai you shouldn't make promises when the Council have yet to make their decision."

"But ... yes, Senior."

Kai bit his lips. Senior Ching was right to remind him of the Council's authority. However much he wanted to exonerate Lifen, the evidence should be presented, discussed fairly and judgement made by the experienced veterans of the Sect in accordance to their teachings. Her case should not be any different just because of his personal interests.

"Let's continue," said Senior Ching but he looked kindly at the disheartened demon.

"The journal is a diary of sorts. It was written by the Village Head who asked Senior Lin to catch Lifen."