Chapter 5 - Thief

Master Li gave the demon hunter full access to his establishment. It must be the Heaven's will that he had miraculously appeared at his most desperate time of need. Hopefully the demon hunter will be able to catch the demon thief, return all his customers' belongings and clear his name. 'The Lotus Seed' had been established by his father and Master Li had planned to pass down the business to his son, his son's sons and so on. The family business was his life!

"Lord, please clear my family's name! I beseech you," pleaded Master Li. "Tell me anything you need for your investigation. My family and I will answer all your questions and open any door for you."

"Ah, just call me Kai," said the demon hunter humbly. "Since the demon is stealing people's money and causing mischief, it is my duty to catch her."

Master Li swallowed. "Are you sure it's a female demon? Is she alone? Is she dangerous?"

"Mhmm?" asked Kai distractedly. He was looking at the very messy trail of sparkly purple demon dust inside 'The Lotus Seed." It was everywhere! What a chaotic and disorganized demon. She had practically touched everything, walked everywhere going in circles and even doubled back on her steps.

"Tsk, tsk, I think she actually loitered here for some time. Is this a prank?" Kai wondered aloud. "Maybe she stole and hid the stuff here somewhere."

"Lord?"

"I'll have a look around before coming to any conclusions. There is a chance the stolen items are still on the premises somewhere."

"Really?" Master Li asked hope lighting up his face. "Is there any way I can help?"

"I'll just follow the trail for now and see where it leads me. In the meantime, ask someone you trust to search the place."

Upon hearing the demon hunter's words, Master Li immediately called his son to spearhead a search team.

Kai wandered all over the hotel following the demon's convoluted invisible trail. Behind him, Master Li followed faithfully, opening doors, unlocking cabinets and drawers when necessary. Finally, they ended up in Master Li's secret counting room on the third floor.

"How did she take everything? Some of the places are locked ... my own safe is hidden and secured inside a bolted room as you can see!" Master Li asked.

"Physical locks and man made barriers can't stop a demon," explained Kai as he walked around the counting room. The demon's trail was the freshest here and the smell of woody trees and faint herbs the strongest. It made Kai think of a thick dark wet forest.

"She came in the room from the door, probably following you," he murmured aloud. Master Li gulped but did not interrupt. "Then she came here ..."

"That is my counting table. You mean she was sitting opposite me the whole time I was counting?" Master Li felt faint thinking of his close encounter. To think the creature was so close and could have killed him at anytime!

Master Li tensed when the demon hunter slowly raise his head to look up at the ceiling. He gulped before raising his own eyes to look at the spot where Kai was staring at. Was she still here? Was she clinging on the ceiling? He felt faint.

"What's up there?"

"Nothings there, only the roof. This is the highest floor."

"The roof?" Kai asked. That meant the demon went up there. But why? He thought some more. She may have some back in from another spot. If he couldn't find it he would have to move the search outside.

With Master Li's help, Kai quickly searched the whole top floor. It was the family's living quarters. He found a room where the demon came back in. It seemed she dropped from the top straight down through the floor. She had gone to the VIP room below.