Apologies.

Aella Jones, 16
New York, New York
The next morning, Mikey and I woke up before everyone else. It was Saturday, which was the best day of the week because we made a huge brunch and cleaned the lair. Then, because the boys had no training on Saturday, we all chilled the rest of the day unless there was a pressing matter at hand. By the time Splinter and Donnie emerged, the food was ready. We all made plates, and Donnie said he was going to get Raph, but Splinter ordered him into his seat. 'Raphael is awake. When he is ready, he will come to eat.' Don said 'Hai, Sensei,' and we all dug in. Mikey embellished a story about what I'm sure was a routine pizza run, Donnie did his best to dumb down a description of his latest invention, and Master Splinter and I just listened patiently, nodding and laughing when appropriate. By the time Raphael showed his face, we were cleaning up. I slid the container of leftover pancakes at him without making eye contact and walked into the living room, spray bottle in one hand and a towel over my shoulder. Mikey got the common area in the chore draw, and I always stuck with him so we could get it done and hang out. I turned on the radio for some music, and immediately a catchy new pop song was playing. Mikey and I got the area clean in record time, dancing as we dusted and popping at each other with our towels. When we were done I took the cleaning supplies and headed into the kitchen. Rounding the corner I ran head first into a brick wall that definitely wasn't there earlier. My butt hit the ground and cans of cleaner rolled everywhere. I looked up to find Raphael looking down at me with wide eyes. 'I'm so sorry Aella. Let me help you.' He reached down and helped me to my feet. 'Thanks,' I said. Raph handed me a can of Pledge and cleared his throat. 'I actually wanted to get you alone anyway, to apologize for last night. I overreacted, and said some things I didn't mean. I'm sorry, really, and I hope you forgive me.' I met his gaze. 'Of course I forgive you Raph, especially since I owe you an apology too. I may or may not have been trying to get a rise out of you. But you have to ease up on the jailer routine. I want to babysit and hang out with Nicole when I want until Casey comes home.' He paused, looking away, before saying, 'Deal. But you still wear the tracker. And you have an 11 pm curfew. No arguments.' I nodded. 'That's fair. Thanks, Raph.' I bent to pick up the rest of the cans and heard him leave the kitchen. I yawned. I was actually pretty tired despite getting a full night's sleep. I might have downplayed the nightmare thing to Mikey. Truth is I had been having them for a while, pretty much since Leo left. They were always different, they were never about anyone familiar, and I had started seeing some weird symbols I didn't recognize. I wanted to tell someone, but I didn't know how to explain how much they bothered me. They were just dreams. I had hoped not sleeping alone might help, but it looked like I would just have to deal with it. Maybe I'd try melatonin. I put the supplies away and went to find Splinter. He had taken over my instruction in Leo's absence, and I didn't take a day off like the boys. I was training my mind, not my body. Honestly Splinter's way of teaching was a little more intense than Leonardo's. I meditated deeper and longer, and my senses in general seemed to be getting sharper. The plan was to finish mental training with Splinter, and when Leo came back in a year, I would be ready to train as a full kunoichi. Technically I would be his guinea pig as a Sensei, but I was thrilled at the honor. Coming to Splinter's room, I raised my hand to announce myself when I heard voices. Raphael and Splinter were talking fast in hushed tones. I couldn't make out most of what they were saying, but I heard the words Leonardo, and need, and stay. Then Raph said, louder, 'But we need him here. I can't lead them like he did. I can't train Aella. They all respect Leo. This was supposed to be temporary.' A pause, and then, 'Your brother will do what is best for everyone involved. I trust his judgment. I sent him away to train to take my place and he will do just that. He will become a better leader, and then he will return. You must have faith, Raphael. Be patient.' I heard a huff, and footsteps, and I barely moved out of the way before Raph shoved the curtain aside angrily. He didn't see me, and stomped down the hall to Leo's room. I took a breath and went into Splinter's room. He was standing, staring at a photo on the wall of him and the boys. It was their birthday a few months ago. He looked almost sad. 'Miss Aella, can we do your lesson later? I have some letters to write.' I said 'Yes Sensei', and backed out, deciding to check on Mikey. He was supposed to be cleaning his room while I was with Splinter, but knowing him he was distracted and had gotten nothing done. Pushing aside the curtain I was shocked to see that he had actually made progress. The floor was mostly clear, the bed was halfway made, and he was putting comics and dvds back in their places. He turned towards me and said, 'Check it out dudette! We got all day now to chill. I was thinking, a Fast and Furious marathon. Donnie got all seven off a bootleg site, and I'm so stoked to watch them in order, ya feel?' 'Yeah, yeah I feel. Hey, have you heard Master Splinter talk about Leo since he's been gone?' Without looking up he said, 'No. But it's only been a couple weeks. I'm sure we'll hear from him soon. Why? You miss him already?' I cut the tv on and lay back against the pillows on the bed. 'Yeah, I guess. I wonder how he's doing, you know? You guys have always had each other. I just hope he's ok.' He looked at me then, saying, 'I'm sure he's fine Sweets. Dad knows what he's doing. He wouldn't just send one of us to a different continent willy nilly. Besides are you sure this isn't about another one of my brothers? Maybe a very angry one?' I threw a pillow at his head, which he effortlessly dodged, and said, 'I do NOT have a crush on Raphael, Mikey. You need to get your head checked.' 'Ells, you drew a very detailed profile of him, from memory. Either you have a crush on him, or you need to get YOUR head checked. You've never even drawn me, and we're best friends. Which is honestly kind of insulting, I mean I AM the better looking one anyway.' He wiggled the ridges over his eyes, and I laughed. 'Sure you are Mikey. It's not personal, Mike. I'm not even actually attracted to him, physically. I think it's him. Like, his personality or something. Dang, maybe I DO need to get my head checked.' He chuckled and shoved me over so he could sit on the bed. 'You know, we could date. Me and you. It would be easy, since we're best friends. And nobody would be surprised.' He looked at me like I had grown a second head. 'I'm pretty sure if Casey didn't kill me, Raph would. Besides, I'm just not attracted to you like that babe, sorry.' I hit him on the shoulder and then twisted so I could lay my head on his thigh. He brushed his hand through my short hair and pressed play.