||Chapter 3: Shoji and Sleepovers||

"What the heck?!"

I buried my face into the cushion I'd been sitting on to muffle my giggles as Shikamaru threw shogi pieces at me.

"I thought you said you weren't smart!"

We'd played three times already, and I'd forfeited the first match, seeing as though I knew I was gonna lose, and was trying to see what I could do around his moves.

The second match, I'd won, and Shikamaru had frowned and call it beginner's luck when I told him I'd never played before. The third match, I'd won again, and now he was pouting.

"I said I don't think so." I corrected.

I sat up, only to duck to avoid getting hit by a Lance piece.

"Again!" Shikamaru said, putting the pieces that he hadn't thrown back to their spot on the board.

"Shikamaru!"

We both looked over towards the sound of Yoshino's voice as she came from inside the house.

"It's time for dinner." She smiled at us. "Come on you two, let's wash up."

I blinked in surprise when I realized she was talking to me and Shikamaru got up with a sigh.

"What a drag, I wanted to win." 

He started to head inside and realized I wasn't following.

"You coming?"

I fiddled with my hands.

Despite being the seventeen year old I was, I felt . . . out of place. I had enough manners to know when I was overstaying my welcome.

"I should go. I've been away for too long."

And I didn't find Naruto. Not that you weren't a good find either Shikamaru but Naruto's important too.

"It's dark." Shikamaru said, walking back over. "You can't go home yet."

I noted he was right, looking at the sun that had ducked down and was rolling behind the horizon.

"But-"

"He's right."

I looked up and behind me at Shikaku who had his arms crossed.

"I'm sure it'll be fine if you stay the night."

I thought about it, knowing that Shikaku wouldn't bring me here just to play with Shikamaru for a bit.

I gave him a quiet nod and Shikamaru held a hand out for me.

"Now let's go wash our hands before mom yells at me." He said, looking annoyed at the thought.

I chuckled as I took his hand and let him lead me through the house to the bathroom, where there was a stool for us to stand on.

I felt subconscious of my own self, in my worn out hospital gown, unwashed hair, and most definitely dirty feet, but Shikamaru politely waited outside the bathroom as I washed my arms and hands and face.

I winced at the dirty sink and quickly rinsed it out before rejoining Shikamaru.

Dinner was a beautiful and tasty spread of takikomi gohan, shogayaki, and nikujaga. A black bowl of white rice was set beside a empty plate and chopsticks rested before me. 

A warm meal that wasn't made by myself . . . . it feels good to be fed.

Yoshino had put me beside Shikamaru, who sat down and grabbed his chopsticks. He reached for the shogayaki, but paused, glancing at me with concern. Yoshino matched his expression, and Shikaku looked distressed.