Chapter One ~ Night Owl

You know, just your normal gang fight...

"Cal! What the fuck is going on back there?!" I shout into the darkness, my back pressed firmly against a crate full of deadly explosives that could be set off at any moment. Gunshots rang out all around, drilling into my already aching head. Smoke blurred my vision as it curled around the floor, making everyone cough. Some sort of drug?

"Cal!" I yell again, trying not to let the panic show in my voice as I yelled to my head of security, "Which gang?!"

In the midst of the gunshots, I can just about make out a soft curse, later followed by a "Redhound!"

"Shit!"

He echoes the sentiment. We need to get out of here, but how? Exits are blocked. The only way out is-

That's right. Down.

"Cal! The Rats!" The Rats are our gang nickname for the sewers, it's a miracle our gang aren't called sewage. But that would be a shit nickname. We wouldn't be caught dead with a name like that.

"On it!" He yells back. As I shift the crate I'm leaning against, the wood splintering and pricking my jacket with splinters - which will take an age to get out- the wood gives in and my hands are greeted my the cold metal of a handle.

The sewer handle.

"Now!" I yell and a plunk and a loud slam, and we've all dropped into the revolting, piss-stinking sewers of London.
~
"Honestly, these sewers aren't wide enough. Everyone knows that their building a new sewage system, but even them it's going to be too small. Maybe we could sue the government about sewage this year as a prank?"

And that's why Ace is my head of intelligence and Cal is my security.  Ace has the brains, Cal has the guns and manpower. Doesn't mean he has the brains, though.

"No Cal. We did that last time, stole 1 million, and blamed it on Trump."

I should probably tell you who I am. Outside my gang, they know me as Nyx Leon, leader of the Eclipse, but my real name, which my gang knows me as, is Valencia Thompson, the private school's nerd.
Yes, I'm one of those posh people but only because the gang makes (or shall I say steal) so much that they can afford to send me and the other gang members who have to go to school to the top notch ones. The ones where we get to go on expensive trips and decide what we want to learn instead. Those types of schools.

But it didn't mean I actually liked going.

Hell, most days they had to practically drag me there. I still don't see why I can't be home schooled. Eva is!

"You're right," Cal said, running his hands through his hair, one of his old and extremely annoying habits. "We should steal 2 million and blame it on Biden!"

"No Cal. That would be extremely stupid, you moron."

"Dumbass!"

"Nincompoop!"

"Knobhead!"

"Blockhead!"

"Simpleton!"

"Enough, children behave!" Ace yells at us. When Ace yells, you immediately shut the fuck up. She's got one of those voices that everyone listens to and knows not to get on the bad side of. "If I here a peep out of any of you, it's bed without supper!"

This sends me and Cal bursting out laughing. After a second Ace joins in and all you can hear is our laughter. All three of us are gripping the sewer walls and clutching our sides, while the team of 6 security guards that were trailing us just stare at us, the newbie has confusion written all over his face while the others just wait patiently, waiting for us to pull ourselves together.

Once we do, it takes about another half hour to trudge through London's sewage, and when we arise, a light sky greets us with a pigeon's cry, reminding that I still have German revision to do. Oh well. I'll have 13min and 34 seconds to do it in.

And don't look at me like that.

It's not the first time this has happened, it won't be the last and knowing the precise time helps prioritise what to revise.

"Oh well," I sigh as I climb onto the bus, my uniform clean and I no longer smell of sewage thanks to the shower in the campervan I had Sebastian drive round earlier.

Yes, posh indeed.