Chapter Thirteen

We all stood in lines, waiting for the decision that would change all of our lives. "It's been an honor flying with you. Each of you represents the best of the best. This is a reflection of that and nothing more," Admiral Bates states. I look over at Rooster. He just nods even though the fear on his face was scaring me more. I take a soft breath in and continue to listen. "Choose your two foxtrot teams," Admiral Simpson said to Maverick. He scanned all of us. "Payback and Fanboy. Daggers and Bob," he said and barely makes eye contact. I look down and I feel Phoenix's eyes on me. I begged him to go against the Admiral's orders, but he couldn't. I knew he couldn't. "And you're wingman." "Rooster." The name haunted my head. My head snaps up and I look in his direction. Rooster's mouth fell open a little."The rest of you will stay by on the carrier for any reserve roles that's required. Dismissed," Simpson calls. I shake everyone's hands. "I am so freaking proud of you," Phoenix said as she hugged me tightly. "I'm sorry, I tried-" "He had orders, as did you. Don't worry about it. There will be other missions for me. But this is your shot," she said. I tearfully smile at her. There was a stillness to the air. Like right before a storm. I turn to Bob. "Are you ready for this?" I ask him. "As I'll ever be."

His eyes traveled behind me. I look behind him to see Rooster. I smiled at him and look back over at Bob. "Go. He needs you," Phoenix said. I turn around and walk towards him. "Hey," I whisper. I take a small second to study his face. He was thinking. "What's going on in that big head of yours?" I ask. He shakes his head and wraps his arms around me. Before he could say anything there was an announcement. "We have to go. They're calling us for an informational meeting about our mission." He said and grabs my arm. "We should go," he started. I pulled him back to me. "Hey, you ok?" I ask him. He just smiled and took my hand in his. We stood in line again in front of Admiral Simpson as he presented our mission. "Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains. Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles backed up by fifth-generation fighters. Once your f-18 strike team crosses the border, tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here. This will knock out their runway. But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming. Your time to target will be two minutes and 30 seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the tomahawks may have missed. This is what you've all been training for. Come home safely."

We make our way to our jets. Bob gets in our first, and I was about to when I heard my name. I turn around to see Maverick. "Thank you for coming back," he told me and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Mav, I do-" "You can! You are the daughter of one of the best pilots in the entire world. So just remember what we thought you," he said and looked at me to finish the sentence. "Be 3 steps ahead," I muttered. "Good now, just follow me and we are going to be just fine," he said and kissed my forehead. "Thanks, Maverick," I say. But a familiar figure caught my attention. I excuse myself from Maverick and jog over to Rooster. "Hey, you gonna be just fine, ok?" I ask him. His face had turned into a fearful despair. "Hey, Babe. You're one of the only people who can do this! And you can do this!" I cup his cheeks. He smiles a little and leans down for a kiss. The kiss was sweet but passionate. Like a last one. I pull away and admire him. His brown eyes had a deepens to them. Fear. I knew it all too well. It was the same look I had in mine the morning of Dad's funeral. "I love you, Y/n." He muttered. My breath hitched as I look up at him again. "I love you too, Bradley," I smile and back up. I walk to my jet and watch him get into his.

I gently stroke the target and knives on my helmet. I look up and call out "Ghosty, Dad, help me please." I slid on my helmet. "Dagger one up and ready for catapult," Mav's voice filled my ears. My heartbeat started to pound in my ears. "Dagger spear standing by," Hangman spoke into his helmet. "Dagger four up and ready," Fanboy said. I sigh and spoke "Dagger Three, up and ready," I say. As ready as I'll ever be. I glance at Rooster as he says "Dagger Two up and ready." My shaking hand grips the stick. "You can do this, Dags, it's not your first rodeo," I mutter to myself as we get ready for launch. "Stand by for launch," Tower announces. And suddenly, we are launching our way into our new mission.