Chapter Twelve

I wasn't able to sleep. I had to get out of the house. So I packed my workout bag, changed into workout gear, and made my way to the beach. I did laps, jumping jacks, push-ups, lunges, and jump rope. I worked myself out! I grabbed my towel and wiped my face as I sat down on the sandy beach. I closed my eyes, forcing myself on getting some oxygen in my body. I hear the footsteps next to me. I look up to see Penny. "How long have you been here?" She asked me handing me a green juice. I eyed her weirdly as I take it. "What I don't just make amazing cocktails," she said and I lightly chuckle. She sits next to me and I take a long sip. It was the best juice I have ever tasted. "You couldn't sleep either?" she asked me. "Either?" I ask back. "Mav was here yesterday," she muttered. I nod "Have you heard?" I said and take another sip. "Yeah, I heard about you. The other came last night. Rooster was really really upset. He didn't even drink. He is so upset about you and Mav" I look up at her. "Mav?" I ask. "Yeah, Cyclone let Mav go. I overheard Phoenix and Rooster talking. Both of them say we can not do this without you," My stomach dropped. "Well of course they can, they're some of the best pilots in the Navy," I say standing. Penny followed close behind me. "Maybe no one has told them that," she said. I stop and turn to look at her. I bite my cheek. Penny says goodbye and leaves me to my thoughts. I sat down and looked and looked at the beach. I sigh and take out my phone. I unlock it. I pull up Maverick's contact. "God, I can't believe I am doing this," I mutter and call him.

-Switch to Rooster's POV-

Admiral Simpson stood in front of us, as our new instructor. Gosh, I miss Y/n and surprisingly I miss Maverick too. "Time to target 4 minutes. You will be entering the valley level, at a reduced speed. Not to exceed 420 knots." "Sir, won't we be letting their [plans line to intercept?" Phoenix asked. "Well, Lieutenant, you will have to fight chance against enemy aircraft." No this is not gonna be possible. "You will be attacking the target from a higher a like level with the north wall-" How? A sudden beeping noise from the screen interrupted. "Maverick to range control. Entering point Alpha," Maverick's voice came over the radio. I smile and then another voice spoke. "Daggers to range control entering point Alpha." My heart pounded. Y/n! She's back! "Umm yeah, you two range confirmed control, uh green range confirmed. I don't see an event scheduled for you." "Well we're going anyway," Mav said and the two of them had in. I lean onto my knees. "Alright Daggers, remember what I told you?" Mav asked. "Yes sir," she responded "Popping?" "Yep, in 3, 2, 1," Mav called out. And when he got to one, he popped. "3, 2, 1," Y/n copied. "Maverick dropping," he said and he NAILED the target. "Bullseye!" Now it's all up to Y/n. "Dropping," she said "It's a hit!" All of us jump up and celebrate! We run out to the runway and I spot Y/n climbing down her ladder. I ran over to her and spotted her in my arms. I spun her. The others surrounding us chanted our names. But a whistle interrupted us.

"Captain Michele! Lieutenant Kazansky! My office now!" Admiral Simpson called out. Y/n looks at me in fear. I nod as I let go of her. Mav gently grabs Y/n's arm in confront they follow him. The rest of us watch them retreat to the office, we all make small glances at each other. I go to the show as I impatiently wait to hear about what is going on with Y/n. I changed into my street clothes and grab all of my stuff. I walk out of my car, but something caught my attention. Y/n was in her car. I made my way to her to see her crying. I slide into her passenger seat. "What happens?" I asked her and place my hand on top of hers. I saw Mav walk out and nod toward us. He looked down, it was so quiet that I could hear him sigh. Of disappointment? "Y/n, honey, what happened?" "Admiral Simpson made Maverick team leader,' she sniffed. My chest filled with anger. He's not even a student! But that wouldn't make her this upset.

 "What else? I know that you wouldn't be this upset it's Maverick becoming team leader." She cried again and hid herself in her knees. She muttered something I didn't understand. "What baby girl?" I ask again getting closer. "They told me that I was to be on this mission no matter what, I must be on this mission." She said. My chest went from anger, to fear. "What about retirement?" I ask. "As a young pilot, you need permission to retire, and Admiral told me after this mission I can retire." I sigh and look over at her. I move her closer to her as she lays her head on my shoulder. "Just think-" "Stop Bradley. Don't try to turn this isn't a life lesson. For once in our lives, can we just pretend that we have a normal life? That we don't fight for our lives every day," she begs. I look over at her and see the desperation in her eyes. I nod and lean in for a kiss. It was gentle. I smile into it, we pull apart and I look down at her. "Do you want to my place for a movie night?" She nods and goes to make starts her car. She places her hand on the gear shift. But I stop her. "Let me," I say and we switch spots. Now it's time for me to take care of my girl.