Chapter Five

I was just sitting by the radio when a very sweaty, shirtless, and cranky Hangman walk in. "Hondo wants you in the deck," he said, wiping his head. I stare at him I'm confused. "Now!" I scramble to grab my helmet and ran to the deck to Hondo. "Hangman said you wanted to see me, sir?" I ask. The motions to my jet. "Fire her up!" he smiled. I laugh and check all my settings and I turn to reach for my helmet but a pair of hands grab it before me. "Still old print?" Rooster asks. I notice the sweat still collected on his forehead from his push-ups earlier. "Yes, and there is nothing you can do to change it!" He hands me my helmet and silence grows. "Daggers, let's go!" Hondo yells. "I should take off," I say, staring into his beautiful eyes. He smiles. "What?" "Nothing, I was just imagining what you would be like," he started purposely not finishing. "Imagining what?" I ask, chuckling. "You doing 200 pushups up," he laughed and walked away. "Asshole!" I call out to him.

————————————————————————

"Alrighty boys, keep your eyes peeled this guy is known for stealth," I call into my mask. "Copy that, Daggers. Scanners picking him on our right," Harvard called. I turn my head and see him coming close.  "Here's the plan, I'm gonna distract him so you can keep up behind him." Suddenly a shadow of a jet darkens my cockpit. I look up Maverick's plan. "I hope you know that I can hear everything you say." "Ok, cool," I said smiling into my mask. "Harvard, Brake left!" Harvard does as I said. Maverick moved left with Harvard, exactly what I wanted him to do. I move out of his sight and slowly move my way to his backside. I set up for a kill. But Maverick moved fast and came up behind me. I curse to myself as a dead tone rang in my ears. "That's a kill, but good communication. Daggers stay in the jets, I'm gonna have just Hangman, Rooster and you all go together," Maverick says. I fly down to fill my fuel tank, do 200 pushups and take off again. Man, my arms better double strong tomorrow.

————————————————————————

"Rooster," Hangman called onto his mask. "Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?" "Would it makes a difference if I did?" Rooster replied making me chuckle. "What's the story between you and Maverick. You two seem close. Actually come to think of it same with you Daggers." I made a glance at Hangman and flipped him off. "Don't worry about it, now let's focus on what actually matters, finding Maverick," I say. "I've been here the whole time," Maverick called and pulled up above Rooster. Uh oh. "That's it," Rooster huffed. He turned as well the same way as Maverick but moved downwards. Now the two F-18s are soaring downwards and they are slowly running into the hard deck. "Great, you've gotten yourself in this position, now how are you gonna get yourself out of it?" Maverick asked Rooster. "You can pull out anytime, old man," He yelled back. "Rooster, you're running out of room. You gotta pull away," I call out. He doesn't hear. "Rooster!" I call out again. Thankfully this time he hears and pulls away, making him an easy target. Maverick steady himself and kills Rooster. Hangman mumbles to himself and I sigh. "Go see Hondo about your push-ups," Maverick said to Rooster before he goes back to base. I fallow on his tail.

————————————————————————

I walk on the runway to see Hondo leaving Rooster's side. Walking up, I almost yell "Breaking the hard deck? Insubordination? Are you trying to get kicked out?" "Don't worry about it," Bradley sighed and looked away from me. I sigh and sit down next to him. "Look, I'm going on this mission, and I think Maverick wants me in a double, and if you get kicked out, you leave us flying with Hangman. Talk to me, what the hell was that? What made you so upset-" "He pulled my papers." There was a moment of silence. Rooster and I had a plan to go into the navel academy together. But right before we started, his papers got pulled. He told me to go and he'll figure it out. He never did. He had to wait 4 years. "Who?" I ask. "Maverick, your favorite person. He pulled my application to Naval Academy. He sent me back four years. He tore us apart! He ruined all of our plans!" "Why would he do that?" I ask, upset. The plan that Bradley and I made together was really special so when it ended up not working, it killed me. "Does it matter? Y/n," he turned and put his hand on my knee. "We were separated! We didn't get to be with each other when we needed it." "No, no," I stand "Maverick doesn't do anything unless he has to. He always has reasons. Talk to him about it," I suggest.

"Wait hold up Y/n you're not listening. This is the same person responsible for my father's death, my naval career pushed back, and the reason we were separated! Why should I do the talking, he's the one with en explaining to do!" "Hey! Maverick wasn't the reason your Dad died, you know that!" Rooster stands. "I thought you would be on my side. But I was wrong," he mumbles and walks away to go inside. I sigh to myself and make my way inside. I made a mad dash to the locker room and rip open my locker. I pull out my phone to text Dad. 'what did Maverick do?' His response was quick. 'What do you mean?' How could he not know! 'Maverick pulled Roosters papers. Why?' 'I didn't know that. Maybe try asking him?' I sigh and turn my phone off. I grab my towel and head to a shower. I was rinsing off when I hear a boot stomp in the bathroom. "I sent everyone home so hurry," Maverick called. "You're not supposed to be in here," I mumble. "I know, but I saw you and Rooster arguing. What happened?" "I really should be asking you that." "What do you mean?" he asked. "You pulled his papers, Why?" I ask. I hear Maverick sigh. "Look, I love you and Rooster. You two are the children I never got to have. So I wanted to protect him. He was t ready like you were." I tune off my water. "You're wrong, he was more than ready. Now unless you want to see me naked, I would suggest leaving." "Alright, but Y/n, remember this. Don't let this pull away from your potential. Don't let emotion blind your judgment."