Chapter Ten

The sun is going down, but we continue to play. Rooster made eye contact with me and throw his ball high. I backed up and caught it and as I was getting ready to run, Hangman grabbed my waist. I squealed, looking behind me. Coyote yelled my name and I gently tossed it to him. He ran and made a touchdown. Laughing, Hangman let go of me. Coyote and Rooster chest bump and Rooster continues to celebrate with a whole body shimmy. 

It was a dance that I knew all too well. After every point he scored in childhood games of football or wiffleball, he would do it. And it only made my knees weak now, because he's actually hot. I walk over to him. "I didn't miss that as a kid." "Oh please," he said, grabbing my waist. "Wait what if Mav sees?" I ask him when he gets close. "Who the hell cares," he whispered as our lips finally connect. Everyone goes crazy well almost everyone. Hangman jsut rolled his eyes. 

————————————————————————

The day flew by and I was getting tired. Mav called it a night. Rooster put his shirt back on and walked over to me. I pouted. "What?" he asked. "I liked it better when it was off," I smirked. He smiled and placed his arm on my shoulder. I lean into his body and he kissed my head as we turn to my housemate. "So?" I start and they raise their eyebrows. "Pizza beer movie night?" Pheonix suggested. I nod. "Who's in?" I ask the group and almost all of them raised their hands. And you can guess who didn't. I climb into Rooster's car as he finished talking to Yale and Fritz. My phone dinged as I sit down. I open my messages to see a new one on my family group chat. My mother. My heart pounded in my head as I read.'Ice went into the hospital, it might be coming. I'd like to see all of you soon to make preparations.' No, no, no. My stomach fell hard. "Hey, Y/n so?" Rooster started as he got in the car. But my fast-passed breaths cut him off. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asks. I show him the text and all he does is bring me into his chest. 

"Do you want to see him?" he asked pulling away. I shake my head. "No, because if I go and see him I know it will be the last time. And I can't leave his side to come back to this stupid mission only to have him die the next hour, when I should have been there," I say, with angry tears falling. Rooster nods "What do you want to do?" I turn to face him completely. "I want to go to the house that I am renting, I want to have a fun night with the people that are here, I want to get tipsy, and I want" I please my hand on Rooster's arm "I want to be held by you." Rooster places his large warm hand on mine. "I promise you Y/n Kazasky, I can make sure that all of those things can happen."

————————————————————————

-Roosters POV-

The next morning, Y/n and I met up with each other outside the building. I had a warm latte in his hand for her. She smiled and took a large gulp. "Any updates on your dad?" I asked as we made our way inside. "No, I was glued to my phone last night waiting for the text saying it was time. But it might not happen today. As we turned the corner, Cyclone stopped Y/n with a phone call. She looked at me and shrugged. "Lieutenant Kazasky, there is a call for you. And it must be answered immensely. I will excuse you with Maveric." Y/n nods and walks away with Cyclone. I sat alone and terrified. "Good morning. The uranium enrichment plant that is your target will be operational earlier than expected. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days' time. As a result, your mission has been moved up one week to avoid contaminating the target valley with radiation. Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course. Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on. Captain," Warlock announced and Maveric stepped forward. 

Today's mission was the hardest ever! Mav gave them a simulation and Coyote barely made it out alive. I was done for the day when I overheard that Pheonix was hit with a bird strike. I rushed into the commons expecting someone to be there and there wasn't. So I let myself think. Y/n hasn't answered messages I have left her, Pheonix and Bob are down and I can't ask any questions to either. Noon turns to sunset. Sunset turns to even and I am still waiting for someone to tell me anything. Finally, I hear the door open and Maveric says "They'll keep Phoenix and Bob in the hospital overnight for observation. They'll keep Phoenix and Bob in the hospital overnight for observation. They're gonna be okay." I sniffle and nod "That's good. I've never lost a wingman." "You're lucky to fly long enough and you will. There will be others." My blood begins to boil and I snap back at him. "Easy for you to say. No wife. No kids. Nobody to mourn you when you burn in," I say as calmly as I can. I don't want to make Y/n mad if she found out that I snapped at Maveric. "Go home, Just get some sleep." That's it? I'll apologize to Y/n later. "Why'd you pull my papers at the academy? Why did you stand in my way?" I yell standing. "Because you weren't ready," Mav said as he steps into my face. 

-Switch to Y/n's pov-

My heart pounded as I walked down the hall. I don't know why my first reaction to my father's passing os to tell Maverck but it was. I read all of Bradley's messages. Phoenix was hurt and I'm still mad at myself I wasn't there. But my dad was more of a priority. I still can't get his last words through my head. I left Top Gun as soon as my mother ended the call. I was there at his side. He pulled my hand into his and whispered I'm proud of you kid' as he flatlined. My sibling had all left but I wanted to be there the whole time. I had already checked the teaching hall, the lookout, and the locker room. I know Mav is here because his bike is still out front. I asked Admiral Bates to look for him. He kept looking at me, waiting for me to break. Suddenly shouting came from the commons. I made my way down to the room, rushing before I could break. I see through the window Mav and Bradley in each other's faces. I opened the door and called out "Maveric." They both looked at me. The tear build-up had finally fallen. One look. We made eye contact for a single second and he knew. My dad was gone. His best friend was gone.