33.

Eleven years later:

With I sigh, I put the phone back in it's place and lean back in my desk chair.

Really? My co-worker must bail on me now? On a Friday afternoon? Unfortunately, the thought of weekend must be postponed since everyone has already left the office, leaving only me accessible to visit this house.

After I'd graduated high school and then university, I decided to get into the real estate business. I must say it's not the best paying job, but I'm making myself quite some good money as a real estate agent. I have been working for this quite successful company for almost two years now, and as they're telling me, they're grateful for my service. Last week, a request from quite a wealthy family rolled in, or so I've heard. My boss, Mr. Song, wanted his best broker on the case, and of course he picked my now best friend and amazing co-worker Lia.

 Song, wanted his best broker on the case, and of course he picked my now best friend and amazing co-worker Lia

The boss ^

The amazing co-worker ^

I was not sad Mr. Song didn't pick me. On the contrary, I was certain Lia would nail this case just the way she nails every single case she gets assigned. She really is the best broker in the company.

The first visit of the house would be this Friday afternoon, meaning I would get to tease her with me getting an early weekend and she wouldn't. Only now she just called to tell me she's been feeling extremely sick the whole day and that she is not at all able to do her job today.

"Please, Chan," she'd begged me. "Please take over this case from me."

"No, Lia," I pleaded. "What if I screw up? Then the loss of the wealthy Moon family will be on me."

"You won't screw up, dummy," Lia told me before coughing a few times. She indeed sounded extremely ill. "Have a bit more faith in yourself."

Have a bit more faith in yourself... My mom used to tell me the same thing every time I had something big coming up, like my exams or my first job interviews. It's a shame she passed away last year. She always knew her way of comforting me, and I was scared I would never find such a person ever again. But now that I've found an amazing good friend, Lia, I'm more certain things will work out the way they're supposed to. However, I still feel like I'm missing out on something in my life. I'm 27 years old now, which sort of means that I should have my life quite together by now. But still... something is not yet complete. It reminds me of my teenage years, when I used to feel so incomplete as well. Life was just life, nothing really to complain about. And still... I can't really explain it, but it feels like my life is a puzzle but only one single piece has been missing this whole entire time and I still haven't found it yet.