It's An Honor, My Duty! || PART 3

"Venti?" Xiao blurted when he finally got back his senses. The boy turned around to see the back row. His eyes widened, and he quickly shot out of the driver's seat.

Blood trickled down his exposed thigh, the clothing once covering it now torn. He limped to the back row, gripping his crimson-painted shoulder. He swung open the door and leaned in to inspect Venti. Blood was splashed all over Venti's forehead and some dripped down the bridge of his nose as his body leaned against the side of the car. Xiao, in full-panic mode, grabbed him and dragged him out of the car.

Venti was being carried with Xiao's arm under his knees and back. He lugged his numb left leg on the road, having to hop and walk down the street with only one. He slowly left the destroyed car behind him, panting heavily. Xiao's vision blurred and his movements became sluggish. His ears rang endlessly and he could barely see in front of him anymore.

Xiao blinked before his body swung forward. Before he knew it, he had fallen to the floor with Venti beside him, eyes still shut peacefully, even with his face covered in fresh gore. Xiao didn't know what to do, his mind blanked as he stared at Venti.

He had failed everything. Not only was he not able to fulfill his duty, but now he was going to lose his life. As well as the person he swore he'd be with forever and one of the few people he cared for most.

..Was that really true? The person he cared for most? Xiao really only just realized how much time he spent with Venti, and how much he enjoyed every moment. Every smile, every laugh, every glance they exchanged.

Xiao slowly blinked, vision fading from his eyes as darkness swept over him, his body going numb as Venti continued to pant unsteadily beside him. The two lay there, in a puddle of blood. On the dark road.

Until he woke up again.

Chest heaving as he struggled for air, Xiao shot up from the white, linen sheets below him that made up a bed. He frantically looked around, eyes darting from one corner to another. The walls were a light beige and curtains hung beside him. The tops of the ceiling were made of deep brown wood. There was a ceiling light not far from him that gave the room a yellow glare. Across from him was another bed of sheets and curtains surrounding it. From his position, Xiao could see a few other beds aligned next to it as well. However, he couldn't catch a glimpse of his side specifically. Soon, he calmed himself and looked down at his hands and over his body.

Xiao was wearing a blue robe-like top. Bandages were seen on his hands and one covered one of his eyes, blocking a good amount of his vision which worried him. Xiao could also feel the material pressing tightly against his chest as it wrapped around his torso.

"Oh, you're awake." A person across the room said. Xiao turned his head to see a blue-haired man who wore a dark mask that covered one of his two eyes. The boy jumped in shock.

"Who are you!?" Xiao raised his arms defensively.

Seeing it as a threat, the blue-haired man quickly stepped back. "Relax! I found you and the boss in the middle of the road and carried you both back for treatment. On the verge of death, actually. You're lucky I happened to be in an isolated street last night." He sighed. Xiao finally recognized his voice and appearance.

It was one of Venti's mafioso assistants! Xiao curled up on the bed. "Apologies for the... exclamation. I was confused."

The man shook his head. "It's all good, it's all good," He said. "If you're wondering, Boss is a few beds away," Xiao was ready to jump up and search for him but the man quickly walked over and shoved him back onto the bed. "Ah-ah-ah! Your own wounds are still recovering. Moving right now is not a good idea." He sighed.