The Watch

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS WHOLLY PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF FOUND ON ANY OTHER SITE, IT IS STOLEN CONTENT (I'm looking at you, Teenfic). IF FOUND ON ANY OTHER SITE, PLEASE REPORT IT TO ME EITHER BY MESSAGE BOARD OR DIRECT MESSAGES

"Everything you see in front of you will one day be yours, Gemini." Her father said. She sat on his lap, looking over the Grimlands.

"Why?" She asked eagerly. Her father chuckled.

"You are my daughter, are you not?" He asked playfully. She giggled.

"I know! But why will it be mine? Why not FWhip?" She asked. Her father sighed.

"You may be twins, but you are still the eldest, even if by a few minutes." Her father said. She curled up against his chest, feeling sleepy. His white and ginger beard scratched her back.

Five years later he would die in war. And she had ran, leaving the Grimlands on her brothers shoulders.

.  .  .

I lay on my bed, swinging a purple karambit around my finger absentmindedly and trying to remember my magic. I might remember the Empires Trials, but they had taken my memory of my abilities.

My phone suddenly buzzed. I put the knife down.

"Hey, Gem. It's Pearl. Can we talk? I'm at Coffee House on Main Street." The text read.

"On my way." I responded, standing. I slid my handgun into a hidden holster on my belt and draped the edge of my shirt over it, and went to meet up with my best friend.

.  .  .

"I didn't think you would come. I'm glad." Pearl said.

"I didn't think you would ever want to see me again after what happened." I responded. Pearl sighed.

"You got blackmailed. I don't blame you. I blame The Watchers." She said simply.

"I stabbed you."

"I almost chopped your head off. We've even." She countered. I sighed, giving up.

"What are you gonna do now?" She asked.

"I honestly have no idea. You?" I asked. Pearl shrugged.

"I just got a job here. Gonna lie low. Not draw attention to myself like Grian..." She said as a server came up to us with our coffees.

"M'lady's." He said, putting it on the table. He winked at Pearl, and she rolled her eyes. He raised his hands in mock surrender, laughing as he walked away.

"What was that?" I asked. Pearl sighed.

"Brad. He pisses me the hell off. Like Grian but annoying." She said. I chuckled, taking a drink.

"Sounds about right." I said. We fell into silence.

"Hey, I gotta get back to work. But it was good to see you again." Pearl said, forcing a smile. I didn't have to force it.

"Thanks, Pearl. I'll see you around." I said, standing. She hugged me a moment before walking behind the counter. Waving, I walked out of the door.

. . .

I felt something was off before I even opened the door. I reached for my gun and quietly opened the door. I cleared it, swinging around. Nothing. I closed the door gently with my foot.

I quickly swept the apartment. Still nothing. Breathing a sigh of relief, I plopped onto my bed. Then I frowned, noticing something under my hand. I looked down. It looked like some kind of jewelry box. I cautiously lifted the lid. I frowned.