Chapter 8 || Reason viii

Another chapter because I love you all.

Special dedication to @dearest-niall, this one is for you

----

The rest of Saturday had gone by pretty uneventfully. Harry had taken the lad out to breakfast, and a movie after, making sure that not once during the day was the blonde in any pain. His mission was a success, as they had spent the whole day together. When the sun had crept down the sky and the clock had shown how late in the day it truly was, Harry had taken the lad back to his home despite his mind screaming at him not to. They had agreed that if Niall's mother wasn't home, then Harry would get to take Niall back to his- even if his mother got drunk again and he would have to explain his own home situation but that was a risk he was willing to take. Harry wasn't a superhero, not really, but he'd be damned if he didn't put everything he had into saving Niall.

Thankfully Niall's mother was home, Greg's car out of the driveway, so despite his fears he went home. Harry walked him up to the door like a gentleman, making sure nothing jumped out at him on the way there, and only left when the door was softly closed behind Niall. As Niall made his way up to his room, a small smile stretched on his lips, Harry jogged back to his car glad to know that the blonde was safe for the time being. Before Niall could reach his room- halfway up the stairs- his mother called, beckoning him back down and into the kitchen. She was in her scrubs, the material a light blue, tired eyes gazing back at him. Next to her stood another woman, the same colored scrubs on and a bruise forming on her cheek. Both had steaming mugs of tea clutched in their hands, and both smiled almost warily at the lad. Niall didn't question who the new woman was, or why she had a bruise on her face and a busted lip. And his mother didn't question the bruise on his face either. He didn't question why there was a lad about his age sitting at the table with his head down, in fact he didn't say anything at all.

"Niall, this is Johanna and her son Louis, they're going to be staying with us for a bit." His mother explained, and hearing the sound of his name the lad sat up, glancing over at Niall. He looked guilty, upset, but he also looked at Niall like he understood him and vice versa. "Why don't you show Louis your room love? You two will be sharing for right now." Niall nodded, and Louis stood up without a word, but both boys sent their mothers small smiles. Niall once again made his way up the stairs, this time actually reaching his room. The door was still shut from the day before, and Niall was nervous that the room was a mess. He slowly swung the door open, both lads making their way into the room. Louis looked around, taking in the wood flooring- a puddle of dried blood on it- blue walls that matched their eyes, a large bed sat right in the middle, a desk of drawers for clothes with a large TV hanging above it, several posters lining the walls, a door that looked like it led to a bathroom and stacks of cds and movies lined up on top of the table. All in all, he dubbed it a pretty normal looking room, save for the blood on the floor.

Niall sat on the bed, taking in the boy's appearance as he looked around the room. He watched as the brown haired lad looked at some of his picture frames, probably thinking that they looked like such a happy family. Neither exchanged a word as the lad continued to look around, not even as he finished and sat on the large bed right next to Niall. Both lads stayed silent, just staring at the wall on the opposite side of the room, sitting next to someone they had never met before.

"My father hit my mom. We were finally moving out, so he hit her." Is what the lad says that breaks the silence, and all Niall can do is nod sadly, and wrap an arm around the lad.

Harry on the other had spent his night differently. When he got home, he went straight to his mother's room to check on her, only to see she wasn't there. It was odd, for her to be out this late, considering she didn't work weekends. With worry coursing through him, he searched the whole house only to come up empty handed, his mother nowhere to be found. He was anxious, nervous, scared, terrified for his mother and her safety. He knew how she got, even when she tried to hide it, and that fact just worried him more.

So he did the only thing he could think of: he sat on the couch and waited for her to return from wherever she had been. He waited and waited and waited and waited. Hours and hours passed, eyes growing heavy, body getting weary, but he refused to fall asleep, not until he was sure that his mother was safe and sound.

When he pulled out his phone to check the time, he realized it was 1:13 am. Time had flown, but at the same time it crawled by. He figured that he could send Niall his next reason for staying alive, it was another day after all. As he clicked the message app, Niall's was the first one on the list making him smile gently despite his fear. He opened it, fingers hovering over the letters as he thought over what to say. Slowly he typed out what he had to say.

You're someone's sunshine, don't let them fall into darkness. The hardest battles show the strongest soldiers.

He knew it was early, and that Niall probably wouldn't see it until he woke up, but he pressed the little blue send anyways. A small 'delivered' popped up under the message, and Harry thought of how cute and at peace Niall was in his sleep, bringing a small smile to his features. Harry sat back, head resting on the arm rest as he went through his photo app, smiling softly at all the pictures of Niall and the pair of them that he had taken the previous day. Without realizing it, he dozed off.

At 8:34 am, Harry received a call that would change everything. Niall and Louis peacefully sleeping still as his life fell apart around him. The call woke him up, his voice groggy as he answered it. When he was alerted to who was calling, all sleepiness vanished, fear taking a vice like grip on him as he listened to the bored sounding lady with a squeaky voice ramble off all the information.

At 8:52 am, Harry arrived at the hospital, hastily parking the car as he- all but ran- made his way into the hospital.

At 9:02 am, Harry's message was marked as read.

---

So, a little emotional.

Harry wants to be Niall's hero, but it seems not all heroes are perfect.

In the end, who will be saving who?

Lots of love,

Val xxx