Chapter 3 || Reason iii

Yay another update!

Dedication to: @slr_niallers, @ShutterSunflower, @dearest-niall, @XxLifeIsGoodxX, & @ashtonsflowercrown

——-

It took Niall until the next day to finally work out what had happened the day before. The words clicked, as did everything else. He finally put the pieces together, finally realized that it wasn't luck that kept him from beatings, but rather a curly headed lad that he didn't even know existed until a few days ago. Niall honestly didn't know what to think, he was overwhelmed with conflicting emotions- anger, sadness, guilt, embarrassment, and even a bit of adoration.

Harry on the other hand cursed the timing. He didn't want to let the lad know what he was doing for him, he didn't want to have to explain why he had done what he did and why he continued to do so. He didn't want to reveal his feelings just yet. He felt like everything could crash in on him at any moment, and that terrified him. He didn't want to go to school, but he had a mission to complete. He only had 12 days, two of which have already passed. He couldn't miss one, because it could mean the end of the blonde's life. He quickly got dressed, and tossed his backpack over his shoulder. He quietly made his way into his mother's bedroom, kissing her gently on the forehead before taking the half empty vodka bottle and placing it on the bedside table so it wouldn't soak the sheets when she stirred. He ignored the dried tear stains, turning to make his way to school. He couldn't lose anyone else, and even though Niall didn't know how much he meant to the curly haired boy, he still couldn't lose the lad. Harry was sure he may turn into his mother if that were to happen.

Don't get Harry wrong, he loved his mother. She was the strongest person he'd ever met, but when his father died, she fell apart. She still put on the brave faces, but when the sun went down she would head to her bedroom and cry and drink until the memories were blurred, the pain dulled, her mind quiet as she fell into a drunk sleep. She thought that her son never noticed, hoped he never noticed, but he was always the one to take care of her, to watch over her- even more so when she had lost her husband, while Gemma went off to Uni. Harry felt alone, but he had people he needed to take care of, goals to achieve- someone to save.

Harry met the lad in the same place he had yesterday, although a run in with Marcus had him later than he would have liked to be. But it wasn't just Marcus, it was him and his mates- people Harry had considered mates long ago, people he used to share secrets with now people beating him to the ground because of who he chose to associate with. It started like it usually did- from when Harry had suggested he take Niall's beatings- with Marcus asking Harry if he was going to join them or take another beating, in which Harry chose the latter with a decisive look on his face. It wasn't an answer that was going to change any time soon. So, the beating ensued, punches and kicks thrown his way. At one point he was tossed to the ground, and he let out a grunt at the impact but continued to just take what they were giving him, until they were finished and Marcus would shake his head sadly. They parted with the same words they have since it all started, that Harry always had a place in his old friend group, all he had to do was join them. Harry always declined, saying he wouldn't, and then they parted ways.

Harry was 10 minutes later than he would have liked to be there, so by the time he arrived at the blonde's locker, the blonde was already there, digging through it to try and find his necessary books. He cleared his throat, allowing the blonde to acknowledge him, causing the lad to jump in fright. He smiled however, turning to see the curly headed lad with his same soft smile on his busted lips. The blonde gently cradled Harry's face, examining the bruises and busted lip with a small frown, but Harry could only smile at the lad- happy to have his attention, happy to have him here and safe and touching him in the most innocent way. The blonde didn't question it, just smiled gently, eyes brightening with the happiness he was feeling. It had only been a few days, but already Harry had made the lad happier, even Liam and his mother could see the change.

Harry had eaten lunch with him the day before, walking him to a few of his classes, and even walked him home the day before- before turning to walk 20 minutes in the opposite direction, not that he told Niall that fact. But already, with just so little done, Harry had made Niall happier- even if Niall didn't know the half of it.

The pair began making their way to Niall's first class- maths- dodging adolescents, couples sloppily making out against walls, and confused glares along the way. As soon as they reached the correct class, Harry bid him a goodbye, leaving him with a beaming, dimpled smile and a folded note.

To look at the stars and feel small, to look at ants and feel large. To see children and feel old, to see grandparents and feel young. To experience anything and everything, because life is full of pain but it is also full of love. Just a look a bit harder, wait a little longer, and it will find you too.

————

What do you think?

10 comments for an update?

Dedication to a commenter?

Val xx