𝔇𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 𝔅𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔡

The room fell into a profound silence when Mina directed a question at Sora about her identity.

Kai, halted in his steps, cast a quick glance at Sora, who wore a smug expression in response to Mina's inquiry.

Aware of Sora's specialty for causing emotional distress, Kai took immediate action.

"Who am I? I'm Kai's—"

"My cousin! This is my cousin, Sora! Sora, meet my wife, Mina!" Kai interjected urgently.

Sora's eyes widened in disbelief as Kai fabricated their relationship, while Mina warmly extended her arms in a welcoming gesture.

Anticipating a hug from Sora, Mina's expectation fell flat as Sora remained rooted in place.

"It's nice to meet you, Sora! I'm Amina, but you can call me Mina! Kai didn't mention anyone coming over! I'm sorry for the lack of a proper welcome. Would you like some green tea?" Mina spoke cheerfully.

Sora tensed upon encountering Mina for the first time, noticing a striking difference between Mina's appearance and the images she had seen.

The photographs portrayed a more vibrant, content Mina with a fuller figure and a radiance in her eyes, primarily captured during her nikkah day, an Islamic wedding ceremony.

However, that glow seemed entirely absent now.

Despite nearly three years passing, Mina had undergone a significant transformation.

She appeared fragile, feeble, and notably thinner in person.

Catching Sora's eye, Kai offered an apologetic glance, prompting Sora to roll her eyes in response, while Jack attempted to stop Mina from entering the kitchen, and Denise introduced herself.

"Hello there! I'm Denise! I work alongside Kai at the police station! Welcome to Vegas!"

"You work with Kai? I thought he works with Jack and that woman," Sora retorted with evident frustration.

Denise's eyes widened, registering Sora's agitated tone, and she promptly shook her head.

"No, no! While he collaborates with them, he's still one of my colleagues! Don't worry, Sora. Kai works with Jack and his wife, Mina," Denise explained calmly.

The words "wife" and "Mina" stirred discomfort within Sora, feeling oddly misplaced.

Kai offered an awkward smile at the group before excusing himself, citing a need to speak with Sora.

Amid nods from the others, Jack intervened, loudly urging Mina to take a seat.

"Sit down, Meens! You're not supposed to walk! Do you want the wound to open up, you crazy lady?"

Mina shook her head, determined to prepare tea, her cultural beliefs deeming it impolite to neglect serving a guest.

"Yeah, come on Mina! Jack and I got this! We won't mess up!" Denise chimed in.

With a slight bend, Mina groaned in discomfort but eventually agreed, slowly making her way to the couch.

Both Jack and Denise squeezed into the compact kitchen, feeling considerably constrained as their arms brushed against each other with each movement.

In a moment of awkwardness, Jack found himself blushing furiously, his attention diverted, fixated on Denise's actions while she prepared the tea.

"Hey Jack, can you hand me the—JACK! STOP LOOKING AT MY LIPS! FOCUS!" Denise scolded him, her frustration evident.

"Okay. Okay. They just look nice and plump! You use shea butter girl? Cuz my granny swears up and down on it child! When my knees ashy as hell, my grandma be praying sweet baby jesu-" Jack rambled on, trying to cover his earlier lapse in focus.