Part 17

"That is why you are here Mr. Burglar." a cold chill runs down her spine like a snake. That does not sound like Thorin. Gazing over her shoulder, he half looks like Thorin. The other half is shrouded in darkness forcing her ears back. She does not like the darkness covering him.

Balin and Bilbo head inside the mountain and the rest exited. Iris is among them with worry for Bilbo. This is not right and Gandalf should have made it here. What is keeping him? He should have been here but he isn't.

"Are you alright my love?" Looking up as warm hands brush her cheeks. She smiles lifting her hand to grasp his. 

"Just worried for Bilbo. I do not know if that lizard is dead or not and I hope he will be alright." A churning in her stomach has her swallow some saliva. She almost felt like throwing up. She never vomited before in her life unless you count that time when the goblin shoved their fingers down her throat and forced her to empty her entire guts out.

"He will be fine." Thorin sits beside her and she leans on his shoulder. Her worry about Thorin getting the sickness is almost like a plague you cannot run from. She leans further to touch her nose on his neck, his long hair a comfort on the stubs of her antlers.

"I love you so much Thorin." Her heart speaks out and tears brim her eyes. She knows once the dragon is gone, the sickness will hit him with full force and she might lose Thorin forever.

"I love you too Iris. With all my heart and soul." Smiling, she scoots extra close to savor every moment with him before he turns into a man she won't admire.

The ground shook striking fear in her heart. Not to mention her stomach is churning once more. She wants to know why it is doing that. There might be one that might know. Standing up, she heads to the stairs.

"Iris? where are you going?" Eyes land on her and she smiles.

"I need to go get something. I won't be long. I promise." Thorin's eyes are the last she looks out filled with worry but a smile from her and he nods trusting her.

Climbing down the stairs, she sheds a tear knowing what she will do is really stupid. Landing, she lifts a hand to her stomach and the bile rising turns her to barf on the ground. When she emptied out her stomach, the ground shook once more. Staring at the door with determination, she gets on climbing a few steps and waits. She knows he is going to burst out and she will be ready for him.

"Argh!" She jumps and lands on his golden back as he takes off flying. He was focused on getting the gold off his huge body, he did not feel her get on. Good. Smaug straightens and heads to the city. She is not going to let Smaug kill anyone else.

Jumping off his back, she finds a chain and grabs it. Why does everything appear within her reach? Not jinxing her luck, she jumps onto the roof and waits once more. He passes and she swings the hook on one end of the chain. Climbing once more, she spins the chair over her head.

"What do you think you are doing Satyr?" Smaug caught sight of her and is flying around bucking her but she has a good grip on his scales.

"Shutting you up." Swinging, the chain wraps around his muzzle, and she tugs. He growls and if it weren't for the hook keeping her steady on his back, his flapping would surely make her fall. At the corner of her eye, she sees Bard on the tower. 

Grunting, she tries to tug his muzzle toward the tower. C'mon, Smaugh, work with me. Tugging harder than ever, she makes him turn his head and find Bard. Growling, he surges forward to attack. Glancing around, she is relieved not many houses have burnt down. Tugging on the right, Iris gazes back to the tail flapping the water and making a wave wash the fire off a part of the town. 

"Your king is doomed," Smaug says to her before Bard shoots the arrow. Iris looks over his shoulder as Smaug flies right over, knocking Bard and his son off the tower. Smaug wings frame beside her and he begins to fly above the town. 

"And you shall die." tugging the chain off his muzzle. she unclips the hook and swings it to a building. Jumping off the falling dragon, she swings like a monkey down to the ground. Her hooves clomp and skid. Running a few steps, she skids to a stop and smiles seeing the dragon is dead. 

"Iris!" She turns upon hearing Bard's voice.

"Bard!" Running forward, she hugs the man and his son relieved they made it.

"Thank you for saving us."

"It was nothing. I had to avenge my kin after all." They turn seeing the town only had a part of it burning but the townsfolk are working together to get rid of the fire. 

"Iris, what about Thorin? Does he know you are here?" The mentioning of Thorin's name turns her head toward the mountain. Darkness already is over it. She feels it and she feels her stomach churn again.

"Hold that thought." she walks a few steps before barfing some more. Did the kings foil not work? Is she still poisoned? No, she is not pale or feels like dying. "What is wrong with me?"

"Hehe, Iris, you are pregnant." Her head whips up to Bard.

"You are joking."

"No, even my wife had the same symptoms."

She looks down at herself and then at her stomach. She is pregnant. She has a child. She can imagine her father and mother jumping for joy if they were alive. She knows exactly who the father is since she had sex with nobody else. Looking toward the mountain, her heart begins crying for the dwarf king. She has to return.

"Bard, I have to go back. Mind giving me a boat?" he nods and they head to the shore. A boat is already there with an oar missing. "Bard, take care of your people, and do not approach the mountain."

"Why? Is it not safe?"

"There is a dragon sickness with the gold. Smaug made sure to keep it cast on the gold and Thorin is going to be heavy under its influence. If you approach him, he will see it as an attack on his kingdom. Do not approach. Please, Bard. Your people are safe here. The town is safe. Do not approach the mountain." Bard's eyes shift back and forth before he nods.

"I won't then." Smiling at him, Iris turns and grabs the oars beginning her rowing to the mountain.