Part 9

"And you! Are you crazy!? You didn't even have antlers and you still knocked yourself into danger. What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking I wasn't going to let the king of Erebor die due to his own stupidity!" eyes widen at the next actions of their leader. He wraps an arm around the satyr and kisses her due to her bending down a little to scream at him. The crowd of dwarves cheer once more seeing the two finally made up in more ways than one.

"What was that for?" Iris asks breathless.

"To show you are more important to me than I ever thought possible, my one." The title has her eyes widen in disbelief. She knows exactly what it means, and she fear he is joking. "I love you."

"Aw, I love you too." She kisses him before adding with a grin. "Stubborn king."

They laugh and then something catches Iris's eyes. Awe fills her expression, and she walks to the edge admiring her childhood home. Her birth home was where her family once resided on. The lonely mountain. Erebor.

"Home." Thorin breathes out wrapping an arm around his waist.

A thrush flies around Iris and she smiles as it tweets happily before flying off to the mountain. They will soon be in the mountain. They will soon be home.

After climbing down the rock, they had to trek a while hiding their scent and making sure the orc pack isn't on their trail. Iris can hear them, and it sends her on edge. Right now, they are hidden by a small pass into his territory. She is also nibbling on a tree branch twig to calm her nerves. Her ears keep turning around hearing the grunt and growls from the wargs and orcs. The pale orcs scent in the air and she jumps when a hand lands on her shoulder.

"Iris, what is wrong?"

"A satyr's senses are far sharper and stronger than that of an elf. When he faintly here the orcs, Iris can hear them as if they are next to her." Thorin returns his worried gaze to the nervously nipping satyr. He sighs and wraps his arms around her frame not letting go until her shoulder relaxes.

"I will not let anything happen to you," Thorin whispers in her ear and she relaxes some more. Nodding she gulps all the mush of nibbled bark down her throat. "Is the twig good?"

"Birch is very tough and crunchy but makes great chewing food on the road." Thorin nods and sits beside her waiting on the hobbit to return from his scouting.

"What would be your favorite food to eat?" He asks distracting her mind.

"Birch, pine, and oak. Cedar is too bittersweet. Maple is good too but too sugary." Thorin remembers that for later.

Bilbo comes running down the rocky track, and the company leaped to its feet.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin asks sword tight in his left hand as the other rest on his one.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more." Bilbo takes a deep breath. "But that is not the worst of it."

"The wargs picked up our scent," Dwalin says.

"Not yet," bilbo corrects and was interrupted.

"They will, although." Another disappointment ripple through the company. "We have another proble- "

"They saw you," Gandalf asks.

"No, that's not it."

"Ah there. Quiet as a mouse just what I tell you." Gandalf smile and nods. A scent fills the air and Iris stands alarmed. Thorin's arm tightens around her thinking she needs comfort.

"Will you just listen?" Bilbo finally shouted. "I am trying to tell you that there is something else out there!"

The dwarves silent and the scent is getting closer. It heard them and like the animal she is, she feels fear fill her core.

"Guys, I suggest we run and get out of here now!" A roar follows her statement, and the dwarves turn.

"Which form did it take?" Gandalf asked and Iris feels her chest feel heavy with fear. "Like a bear."

"Guys..."

"Yes, only bigger. Much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asks accusingly.

"Guys!" Iris says louder as another roar echoes a lot closer.

"There is a house," Gandalf says. "Not far from here where we may take refuge."

"Whose house?" Thorin asks and he glances at Iris who has eyes filled with fear. "Is he friend or foe?"

"Neither, he will help us, or he will kill us." Her body begins to tremble to hear the growling from the beast like it is near her ear.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin asks eyeing Iris shaking. What is she hearing?

"Guys! Let's run now!" Roar! Thorin cursed under his breath. He forgot Gandalf said Iris can hear beyond what Bilbo told us. She knew the bear was near.

"None!" The dwarves, hobbit, satyr, and wizard runoff for their lives. Thorin gawks as Iris runs faster ahead with fear.

The company race through the greenery and soft grass. Their satyr friend was way ahead and when she had to wait, they find her jumping on the spot ready to run off once again. Thorin notices her ears are flattened back and her eyes are still wide. This bear must be truly terrifying for the fierce satyr to be filled with terror.

"C'mon guys, the house is just beyond. Run please!" the company freeze for a second as the roar of the beast is a lot closer and they finally see a glimpse of the beast.

The company runs into the meadow, and it turned into a race where Bombur ran faster past his fellow dwarf who gawks at him and runs beside the satyr. He unluckily banged into the wood of the door and fell down. The satyr picks him up and nearly gets squished by the dwarves. Her hand reaches up and unlatches the lock.

"Get in!" they rush in and once the hobbit is in, Iris spin slamming the door on the bear's muzzle, and it whimpers but growls some more. She snarls and shoves the huge nostril out before closing the door.

"What is that?" Ori asks terrified.

"That," Gandalf answers with a small smirk. "Is our host."

The dwarves turn to look at him, incredulous expressions on their tired faces. Disbelieving the huge monstrous beast outside roaring is the host of the house they are in. The satyr walks forward and slaps Gandalf making everyone hitch their breath. Nobody has ever slapped a wizard before. Nobody dared or tried to in fear of their magic.

"Never, ever be cryptic like that again. You know as well as I skin changers and satyrs are common enemies. That beast would have done a lot more than I will ever dare say and you know it. If you ever lead me into one of your stupid plans, make sure it does not have a skin changer in it!" The company stares at the enraged satyr. "I already lost my antlers to goblins. I nearly got my skin carved and my virginity raped by an orc. I do not! Do not want a skin changer to fuck me and then have me for supper! You hear me grey wizard!"

Gandalf does not dare speak a single word and only nods. Iris huffs and then walks over to the hay to lie down and calm her adrenaline-filled body. Dropping down, she pushes away a huge bumblebee to pet down her fur.

"His name is Beorn." The wizard continues after the satyr rant at him. "He's a skin changer Iris said. Sometimes he's a huge black bear and sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable and wild to the scent of a female such as Iris." The satyr grunts and huffs in her spot glaring at the wizard. "The man can be reasoned with however he is not overfond of dwarves or a male satyr."