Chapter 14 -Execution day, Run away!-

-Third P

-Third P.O.V.-

   It was evening now, the orange light of the sunset shined through the windows of the castle. In the staff quarters, Cheshire and Steve met up again. "Did you find out where they are?" The Alices voice was a whisper. Cheshire nodded. "Have you found the weapon?" The red eyed male lightly pulled out the wrapped weapon before quickly putting it away again. "Good...now we have till midday tomorrow to figure out how we are going to do this. And luckily I might already have a plan." The smile Steve gave was covered by the mask. "What I'm gonna need you to do is stay a bit away from the crowd tomorrow, stand on the side closest to the gate. When we run you need to be the first one out." "Alright, what will you do?" Cheshire pushed his glasses up. "You'll see tomorrow. For now, get as much rest as possible." And while Steve planned to sleep through the night, Cheshire still roamed the castle, eventually finding the castle's garden. Looking through the open doors into the garden he glanced around and fixed his hair before deciding he'd walk around it a bit. It was getting darker as he strolled through, going past all the beautiful red rose bushes. He stopped, crouching down and picked one rose from a bush. He held it gently in his gloved hand as he stood back up. 'I remember when they were a lovely white... how I miss those days...' He looked up at the sky, stars were ever so slowly revealing themselves.

-Cheshire's P.O.V.-

   I jumped a bit as I heard someone come up behind me, I turned my upper body slightly to look at them. The face I dreaded to see was there. "What are you doing out here? Normally all the staff are in their quarters about now." The kings gaze was locked on me. "Oh, I just wanted to watch the sky for a bit. I used to stargaze quite often." He chuckled. "I used to as well, though I stopped not long after I became king, I never had time to." I gave a small hum in understanding. He gazed up at the sky. "I never realized how well you could see them from here..." His voice was hush but I still heard it. I adjusted my hat before I spoke. "Well, I'm going to the staff quarters now. I'm getting quite tired." His eyes focused on me again. I bow to him and exit the garden, I then speed walked to the staff quarters. 'Maybe I should rest as well... I need it after that nerve wracking conversation...'

-Third P.O.V.-

   It was morning, Cheshire had woken the Alice up. "I'm going to head into the dungeon again, I need to talk with Hatter." Steve fixed his mask before he answered. "Okay, be careful..." Cheshire ruffled his hair. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Just blend in until it's time." He got a nod in response. They went their separate ways. Cheshire teleported into the dungeon, turning invisible to make sure he wasn't seen. After checking around and making sure the coast was clear, he made his way to the cell that held the other part of their group. He made himself visible again once he was in front of the cell. Dum spoke once he saw the bear-cat creature. "Oh Cheshire is back!" The others woke up. "So what are we going to do? Aren't we going to be executed today?" "Don't worry, I have a plan. Hatter." He made a hum. "Would you mind if I borrowed your hat?"

   Steve anxiously shifted in the spot he was standing, it was midday now and things had been set up for the execution. People had flooded into the seats surrounding the elevated platform that held a wooden plank with a dip in the wood where the neck would rest, next to it was Glitch, the head guard. He was holding a large axe, one hit from it and it could cut through a neck easily. Everyone's attention was drawn by the king announcing that the execution shall now take place. A set of double doors opened, through them walked Hatter, Dormouse, the tweedle twins and white rabbit. Bryan had his head down, the chains that bound him chiming as he walked. Glitch spoke. "Bryan De'Vil, You are to be executed first for harboring an Alice. Step up, now." The others in the group looked up at the Hatter nervously, he obeyed the order, stepping up onto the platform and walking up. "Kneel, and lean forward." He did as told once again, placing his neck on the dip in the wood. Glitch went to take his hat off. "I'd like to keep my hat on." Glitch rolled his eyes. "Fine." He moved the ribbon around the hat away from his neck, and lifted the axe. The Hatter let out a small chuckle, his eyes changing to a mismatch blue and red, then the axe came down. Everyone watching gasp as the Hatter vanished, the axe digging into the wood. His hat was floating, all eyes were on the mysterious occurrence. A horrid laughter was in the air, no one could see where it was coming from. Suddenly Cheshire was there, floating with Bryan's hat on his head, he was laughing, and then he spoke. "So sorry for crashing the party, but I'm afraid that there won't be any execution today!" He then turned from his human looking for to his original state, the bear-cat creature snapped his fingers. "NOW!" The Hatter became visible as he hit Glitch with his tail, sending the guard into a wall. Cheshire then vanished, the group then began making a run for the exit. The king barked an order. "GET THEM!" Guards held up spears as they swarmed the group. Cheshire appeared once again, but this time Steve was with him. The creature used some kind of power to send the guard flying backwards. "C'mon! Let's go!" They ran, heading for the kingdom's gates, guards weren't far behind. Hatter busted the gate open, allowing them to run into the forest.

   All that could be heard was the quick footsteps and heavy breaths as they ran. Cheshire looked behind himself at the group, they were getting tired. 'Shit...if we slow down we'll get caught...' He then made a quick decision. And suddenly, they were in front of an old abandoned castle, it was broken and crumbling but it would be a good hiding place. They all looked around, but their attention was grabbed by Hatter. "Guys...look." He pointed out to the distance, the red king's castle was far away, it looked small from where they were. "How'd we get so far? What even happened?" Steve took his mask off after asking. A sudden fit of coughing startled everyone. Hatter looked over. "CHESHIRE!" He quickly ran over to the dual eyed creature that was on the ground and coughing up blood. White rabbit spoke. "Oh god is he alright?!" They watched Hatter help Cheshire into a sitting position. "I'll..-cough-..I'll be fine..-cough-..I just need to rest for a bit..." Dee looked up at the castle they had been teleported to. "What is this place?" Molten wiped blood from his mouth. "..Its an old kingdom, it was destroyed when the Nightmare was sent to kill everyone.." Steve's face turned to one of shock. "The Nightmare did this?..." He clutched the weapon and took a deep breath. 'And I have to fight it...' Hatter picked Cheshire up. "C'mon, let's find somewhere to rest inside, then we have to come up with a plan." They all followed him as he began to walk in, but Steve stayed still for a moment. 'I may have the weapon, but can I do this?'

-They managed to save their friends, but Cheshire will need to rest for a long time, and Steve doubts if he can truly do this. But I guess we shall see what the future holds another time...-