Chapter 45: Shutting the Floor

His eyes widen in recognition as many different emotions flicker through his beautiful eyes, from fear of my reaction to shock that Tobias is still gunning after him to irritation that Tobias is still gunning after him to longing to take Tobias up on his offer and then, finally, to acceptance that he will never be able to have his dream.

"I'm so sorry, Aqueela," he instantly apologizes as if he's done something wrong, as if terrified of angering or upsetting me. "I thought I handled that. I closed the door on that. I don't know why he's so persistent."

"He's so persistent because you're so amazing, Jay, and he can't afford to lose you without first trying everything in the book," I reply quietly, knowing it in my heart.

Moral of the story here, ladies and gentlemen, is to never fall for a ridiculously talented man if you're not prepared to follow his talent and chase down his dreams with him.

"I don't care. I was clear with him. The door is shut, I promise you," he reassures me, saying everything that he thinks that I want to hear – and I won't lie, it is everything that I want to hear...but is it what he wants to be saying?

"What if you shouldn't shut the door?" I nearly whisper, choked up on what I'm feeling. If he takes this seat, he'll be away from me for weeks at a time to compete and train and I'm already battling with separation anxiety as is.

He stares into my eyes and shakes his head, not allowing himself to even think about it, or to go anywhere near that possibility, aware that those thoughts hold the power to destroy him. "I promised to make you my first priority and that's what I'm doing. I'm fine with being a reserve driver."

I pick up on the keyword: fine.

I don't want him to be fine; I want him to be happy.

*~**~*

Hey, guys :)

If you'd like to read the rest of this chapter now, head over to Radish :D The complete chapter is up on Radish under 'Fast Forward' & written by CJ_Adler. I'll upload the full chapter on Wattpad in 12 months from now.

~ CJ