Chapter 43: Trust Me

My chest tightens with sadness at seeing this sorrowful contradiction of the cocky and flirtatious high-schooler that never seemed to grow up.

Other than him, the room is empty. I'm assuming that he's already seen her and that they've moved her now, allowing him his space.

I cautiously approach him. When he doesn't make any move to acknowledge me, I slide down the wall and take a seat beside him. I don't say anything and just place my hand over his. He still doesn't react, but I know that he knows I'm here.

We must sit in silence for what feels like hours before Laiken turns his hand, palm up, and threads his fingers through mine. He holds me in a vice-like grip as if afraid to let go. I squeeze his hand. I'm not going to let him be alone in this – losing my mom was one of the worst days of my life.

Being an empath feels like a curse more than a gift because I feel everything that Lai's feeling. I feel the sharp stab piercing at his heart, and I feel the numbness and hopelessness slowly taking over his being. Grief is the word. Grief is an awful thing but also a beautiful reflection of love.

"Laik," I eventually speak, "I'm here."

He lifts his head from his knees and looks at me, his brown eyes empty and void of their usual spark of mischief. He says nothing and simply reaches over to hug me with his free hand, and with the last bit of energy he has left in him. When his shoulders shuffle up against me, I realize that he's trying so incredibly hard to hold back his emotions.

"It's okay, Lai. It's okay to fall apart and feel it all," I encourage softly, giving him permission to break.

That's all it takes for him to do exactly that, then and there, in my arms.

*~*~*~**~*~*~*

"Here, bud," Grey hands Laiken a mug of hot cocoa.

"Thanks," Laiken replies emotionlessly and takes the mug from Grey's hands.

Grey's eyes hold sympathy as he regards Lai. He opens his mouth and then closes it again, unsure of what to say. He settles for patting Lai twice on the shoulder. "Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?"

He shakes his head. "I don't have an appetite."

Xave, Em, Ave, and Elle all decided it's best to leave and give Laik some time to process.

Grey nods and then focuses in on me. "Aqueela?"

Are we back to a first-name basis? That's progress. I'll have to undo it later when I get a grip on my own wave of melancholy.

I lift my head from Lai's shoulder. "Grey?"

He grins slightly. "I'm asking if you want anything to eat or drink?"

He's taking it easy on me, and I kind of love him for it, for his nearly nonexistent, soft side.

"I'm good, but thanks," I reply.

He nods before heading to the kitchen to make himself something to eat.

I turn my head to see that Lai's staring off into nothing again. I grab his hand, reminding him of my presence; I've noticed it's the only thing that seems to pull him out of oblivion.

Slobber has always been sensitive to moods. He's always been able to detect when I'm down, so when he stares up at Laiken and angles his head to the side in confusion, it doesn't surprise me. And nor does it surprise me when he paws softly at Laiken's leg.