21

The mission was, by all counts, a success. Everyone got home safely. The enemy base was destroyed, and a few pilots even got some more kills under their belt.

And more importantly, an engagement is in session.

Evie immediately tells her sister, who's happy for her, regardless of how her previous engagement failed.

And all Bradley has to tell is Pete, who's honored that he thought of him.

Their plan is fairly simple. A small ceremony on the beach.

Neither wants a big and lavish wedding, but truth be told, they can't afford one either.

The day before the wedding, Evie and Bradley ignore the silly superstition and lay in bed together. Bradley's head rests on Evie's chest as she gently combs through his hair, when a thought pops into his mind.

" What did you talk to the Admirals about the other day?" He asks.

She knew this question would come up.

" We made a deal," Evie states, " The uranium mission would be my last... and after the wedding, I'm signing the papers to get out of the military."

With that, Bradley perks up and tilts his head to look up at her.

" What happened to planes being fun?" He questions.

" They're still fun," Evie confirms, " And I can still be a pilot... just not in the Navy."

" What changed?"

Evie takes a deep breath.

" Honestly? I thought joining would set me straight. I thought the weight of flying a multi-million dollar aircraft would be enough... but all it gave me was a divorce and a permanently messed up back," She chuckles, as does he, " I've done enough... it's just not for me anymore. But if it's still for you... I'll respect that."

" Is it," Bradley nods as he scoots down the bed, " But family always comes first," he lifts up her shirt ever so slightly to reveal her toned abs as he plants gentle kisses along them, " You still don't want to give birth... right?"

" Hasn't changed in 20 years," Evie affirms.

" So what do you think..." He trails as he trails kisses all the way up to her cheek, " In a couple years... we adopt."

And his words make Evie's eyes light up.

"Definitely."

They share one kiss out of many, and soon enough their wedding day is now.

They walk hand in hand across the sandy beach, until they're a top a sand dune. The beautiful orange and yellow sunset creates a picturesque moment for them as they join hands, surrounded by the likes of friends and co-workers.

 The beautiful orange and yellow sunset creates a picturesque moment for them as they join hands, surrounded by the likes of friends and co-workers

"Dearly beloved," Dina starts as she stands between them to officiate, "We are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Evie  and Bradley. We are here not only as guests. We are here to offer our love  and support, and to stand with Evie and Bradley as they begin  this new chapter of their lives. A marriage is a lifelong adventure. Today's ceremony, while important,  is only the beginning of that journey. Marriage is a challenge that will  require Evie and Bradley to have love and understanding. You  must dedicate yourselves to each other, listen to each other, and be  honest with each other. You will need laughter and forgiveness,  tenderness and empathy."