6

Evie stumbles back up the steps of her home with a alcohol-induced hiccup leaving her leaving her lips once she opens the door. She sets the keys down in the bowl in the hallway and kicks off her shoes. She makes her way to the living room, expecting it to be empty, but finds her big sister slumped on the couch with a cigarette stuck between two fingers.

" What happened to no smoking in the house?" Evie questions as she removes her jacket from her shoulders.

" Maya and I had a fight," Dina responds, keeping her eyes locked on nothing as the smoke billows from the cig.

" That bad?" Evie asks as she sits down next to her sister, " Wanna talk about it?"

Dina shakes her head as she brings the nearly finished cig up to her lips to inhale more smoke as Evie opens the carton on the coffee table, takes one out, brings it up to her lips and lights it, earning a disapproving glare from her sibling

" What? You never let me smoke inside. I'm taking advantage," Evie shrugs as she exhales the smoke.

Evie sinks back into the couch, sitting shoulder to shoulder with Dina as they sit in silence and smoke as sisters.

It's a habit they've unfortunately had for quite some time. A few decades of smoking with multiple attempts to quit, but none have truly been successful.

Dina stopped smoking the day she started dating Maya, and has been clean for 8 years, but their fight has made her revert back to old habits, for they do die hard.

The sister's continue to bring the tobacco filled stick up to their lips and inhaling its succulent smoke into their lungs until it's nothing but a roach.

Evie's head rolls back to lay on the back of the couch while Dina curls up to her side, grab's her sister's arm and lays her head on her shoulder.

" When did we become such fuck ups?" Dina mumbles as she alternates between curling and flexing her toes.

" Mmm probably since Uncle Abraham gave us our first drink," Evie suggests.

" I was 15," Dina sighs.

" 10," Evie states nonchalantly.

" Shit, we you really that young?" Dina ponders with furrowed brows.

" Yep," Evie affirms, " It's when Ma started drinking whiskey."

" What was it before?"

" Vodka."

" Ah, right, because she thought it would make her skinny."

" It did."

" Along with the diet pills."

As the women get more comfortable, their eyes soon close and their breathing soon grows steady. The ever so tempting realm of sleep comes closer to a reality as their numb mind and tired bodies rest, all snuggled up on the couch.