19

The day has finally come.

After weeks of preparation, the pilots are called to action.

Evie says goodbye to her sister, giving her a great big hug before she ships off to the aircraft carrier that houses hundreds of Naval aviators and sailors.

The sea is calm and the air is light. The sun is bright and the ship is set.

But now... now a choice must be made.

Who will fly and who will not?

A question that Maverick must ask himself, and one he debates over and over until he stands before the pilots.

" It's been an honor flying with you," He starts, " Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more."

" Choose your two Foxtrot teams," Cyclone says.

" Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob."

" And your wingmen?"

" Rooster. Whiskey."

Their ears perk up.

" The rest of you will remain on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed," Warlock says.

They almost don't believe it. They were picked. They were chosen. But that means that they both have to fly. They both have to go on the mission. They both will be on the front lines. And they might not come back.

" Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains. Your route of interest is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles backed up by fifth-generation fighters. Once your F-18 strike team crosses the border, Tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here. This will knock out their runway. But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those Tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming. Your time to target, will be two minutes and thirty seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the Tomahawks might have missed."

" This is what you've all been training for. Come home safely."

Whiskey's buzzing throughout the entire preparation. She's trying to get in the zone, but can't help the millions of bees buzzing about her body.

She doesn't even notice Hangman trying to make his way through the flight deck to get to her.

She only breaks focus when Rooster steps into her view.

" Hey."

" Hey."

They give each other a faint smile.

" I just wanted to say... in case one or both of us doesn't make it back--" Rooster starts.

" We will," Whiskey interjects, " We will make it back... and you can tell me then."

He tries to smile from her optimism, but can barely manage. He watches as she walks over to the jet marked LT. EVIE COHEN "WHISKEY", and watches as she climbs on board, as does Hangman.

Rooster turns, facing the pilot he's squabbled with the most, and yet, they seem to have an understanding.

" You give 'em hell!" Hangman exclaims over the roaring jet engines, " And... make sure she comes home."

With that, Hangman departs and leaves the flight deck without another word.

" How are we feeling, hotshot?" Hondo asks as she gets strapped in.