CHAPTER 78

Ryan's POV 

Mom is as curious as I am because of how she keeps darting her gaze toward the door Valerie and my father took.

Trying to think of something to say to light up the atmosphere and take her mind off them, I clear my throat. "You ok?"

She fixes her gaze on me and nods with a smile.

I am not asking her if she is ok now, I am asking if she is fine and healthy. There is no sign of being unhealthy and it keeps confusing the hell out of me.

"Do you think it's about the promise we made to Adams? Is that why your wife wanted to see your father?"

I didn't think of it that way. At first, I was scared Valerie wanted to see him because of her belief of him being her attacker but I trust her to play safe.

That will endanger her. My Dad can sue her without considering the fact that she is his daughter-in-law. He doesn't take issues like this lightly and I'm sure he won't do the same for the daughter of his enemy.

There is nothing to categorize his relationship with her father.  Since they are not friends as they claim, then it means they are enemies.

I won't let anyone hurt Valerie. Not even him. 

The conflict should be between them. The two of us should be exempted from all of this.

To be honest, a part of me wants to believe Valerie's story but I keep telling myself that Mother can never keep such a thing from me for years.

I trust her more than I trust myself.

I want to believe Valerie because I know what Father is capable of. I know how cruel he can be and I also know how he treats his mother sometimes.

But the part about him not being my biological Father or trying to poison my Mother is enough reason for me not to believe her.

They love each other. He can treat her badly but not kill her. Father might have once cheated on my Mother before but definitely not my Mother cheating on him.

It's impossible. I know what My Mother can do too.

"Ryan?" her touch jerks me back to life.

I look up with a question in mind but before I can ask her what I have in mind, she beats me to it by repeating her question.

"Do you think it's about the promise we haven't fulfilled?"

Mother is blaming herself too for this. I didn't want to inform her because I thought I could handle this on my own. But when it became apparent that I needed her help, I had to tell her and she promised me she wouldn't let Dad know that I told her.

"I think so."

She sighs. "Are you still going ahead with what we planned?"

"Yes, mom. It's in place already", I assure her and she heaves a sigh of relief before resting her back more comfortably on the chair, looking relaxed.

Everything Valerie said keeps ringing in my ears, taking me back to the question I want to ask Mom.

I know I didn't plan for it to be now. Not this soon but this is an opportunity. We are still in the dining room.

Should I ask her?

"Mom…", I trail off and shut my eyes to summon up enough courage to ask her what I have in mind. I don't believe it is true but I want assurance that it is indeed false.

When I look up, I meet her intense gaze. If Mother isn't showing any signs of being sick for over an hour that we have been here, then it means Valerie's belief of seeing someone poisoning her is false.