Chapter 15

Love, Life and Death

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge.

Some call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandalous love between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

Trowbridge House, London

The carriage came to a halt once the Queen Dowager of Württemberg and the Prince of Prussia arrived at Towbridge House. Ladies and gentlemen outside recognized the royal carriage and came to a halt as well to greet the royals. Friedrich stepped off the carriage first and extended his hand, gesturing for Charlotte to take it. After she slid her hand into his and helped her off the carriage, the two cousins strolled into the ball.

Both royals ignored the chatter around them and simply focused on getting in the building. People would stop and stare, greet them formally, as well as admiring the Queen Dowager of Württemberg's dress. Her dresses were all uniquely made. No one dared to order a dress like hers to be made for fearing the utter disapproval of Her Majesty The Queen and the royal court.

"As always, you are the most dazzling woman in the room," Friedrich told her as they walked to the ballroom.

"Wait until you see Miss Bridgerton and you might regret your words," she chuckled lightly. "But, I thank you, nonetheless."

The Prince of Prussia's cheeks reddened lightly at the mention of the Bridgerton girl. The more he asked his cousin about her, the more he thought that she would make the perfect wife for him, as well as the perfect mother for his children. And, slightly most importantly, a perfect princess for Prussia, which is what his entire family most wanted.

"Möchtest du etwas Champagner?" He asked her casually. Would you like some champagne? "Überhaupt etwas?" Anything at all?

"Meine Kinder sind nicht hier, also ist es meine Zeit zu essen, was sie normalerweise nicht essen können," she said and immediately looked for the beverages. My children aren't here so it's my time to eat what they normally can't eat.

"Wie zum Beispiel?" He chuckled. Such as?

"Ich will Kuchen. Etwas Süßes," she responded. I want cake. Something sweet.

"Actually... Would you mind getting it yourself?" He boldly asked, with no bad intention at all.

Charlotte wasn't looking at him, but immediately did when he said those words to her. She let out a soft laugh at the look on his face, so adorable, so thoughtful, and when she followed it, she saw Miss Daphne Bridgerton smiling back at him.

"Entschuldigung, Cousine," and with that, the Prince of Prussia expressed his farewell as he went to meet Daphne halfway. Sorry, Cousin.

"You are excused," the Queen Dowager of Württemberg couldn't not giggle at her cousin.

However, in an immediate amount of two seconds, her smile slowly faded. She remembered her old friend, the Duke of Hastings, was supposedly leaving tonight, running away from his feelings for the Bridgerton girl.