Chapter 14

Reflections of the Heart and Soul

Could it be true?

The season's diamond even more precious and rare a stone than previously thought? For it now appears this treasure is set to join the likes of the queen's ever-so-cherished crown jewels themselves.

The Duke of Hastings, I hear, was left looking rather tongue-tied last night, as Miss Bridgerton seems to have finally grown tired of waiting for him to pose that all-important question.

Or perhaps, the young miss has simply traded up.

Surprising? Quite.

Unreasonable? Of course not.

After all, why settle for a duke when one can have a prince?

Buckingham House, London

"Is that all?" The Queen Dowager of Württemberg asked her mother, who attended yesterday evening's ball and was explaining everything that occurred to her daughter. "The Duke of Hastings left the place without a word and Miss Bridgerton caught my cousin's eye?"

"It is more than that, Daughter," the Queen said, with a bit of excitement. "I believe Friedrich here has finally stolen the heart of Miss Bridgerton."

"Is that so?" She raised her eyebrows in surprise and looked at her cousin. "Was bringt dich dazu, das zu denken?" What makes you think that?

"It– It is...rather complex, I think," he stuttered. "Before, I thought her heart was spoken for, but my aunt said that—"

"'Miss Bridgerton's heart is no matter, as long as her hand remains free'," she recited, surprising both her mother and her cousin. "Isn't that right?"

"Impressive," Friedrich chuckled. "It is like as if you were there!"

"I simply know Her Majesty quite well," Charlotte smirked and looked at her mother. "After all, during my time in Württemberg people did not fail to mention how alike we are."

"I take it you accepted their praise?" The Queen smirked at her daughter, who shrugged, teasingly.

"It always depended on the day and the circumstance, Mama," both women giggled and finally reached the door. "Wait! Be– Before we go inside..."

"Cousine," Friedrich caught her attention. Cousin. "Was ist es?" What is it?

"Are you certain Miss Bridgerton is the one to become the next Princess of Prussia?" She looked at him with concern.

"Do you think she is not the right candidate to portray the role?" He asked with sincerity, since he's always listened and appreciated her advice.

"Yes! No! Wait. No, she is the perfect candidate for the role, actually. She is just..." The Queen Dowager swore in her head, wishing to say what she really wanted to say, but she knew it would turn into an irreversible mess if she did. "It is too soon for you to propose, do you not think so? I mean, a private gathering with the entire court is not traditional, nor nothing expected of a prince."

"Now you are emphasizing it all unnecessarily," her mother glared at her.

"Well, I– I am not proposing, Cousin. Not yet, at least. Let down your worry," Friedrich softly smiled at her. "I know you are close with the Bridgerton Family, and how you consider them family. Miss Bridgerton mentioned as well how she considers you family too. Quite one of her closest friends."

"That's very kind of her," Charlotte couldn't not smile at that.

"Which is why I want to ask the head of her family for her hand, and I wish to do it properly, the right way," he assured her. "But only when I am entirely sure if her intentions are the same as mine, as well as her perspective on how our life would be together."