chapter 1

Alara's Pov:

My eyes were shut close as I was waiting for my acceptance letter. My leg was bouncing out of nervousness as I was seated infront of my laptop for hours now. This is something big for me, my future depends on it.

"Please God! Help me" I prayed again and again. And then I heard the familiar ping of a notification. I opened my eyes and opened the email with a heavy heart hoping for the good.

When I opened it a scream erupted from my mouth and I cover it with my both hands as I looked at the screen wide eyed.

"I am selected.... Oh my God!" I laughed and stood as I danced around the room.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Caleb came in my room heavily breathing, it looks like he made a run to come here. His eyes frantic as he looked me over for any injury. Oh the scream!

"Kay I am fine... I was just watching a show and ..." I tried to lie but failed miserably. I can't lie to save my life especially not with my brothers. He looked at my face intently then took a deep breath as he went to sit on my bed. I pushed my glasses up on my nose and went to my laptop discreetly closing it.

"You scared me!" He breathed out as he rubbed his face, he looked tired and now than I am looking at him I realized he was sleeping and I woke him up. I felt guilty for waking him up. He came late last night from his office and now I woke him up.

I went to sit with him and side hugged him as he put his hand around my shoulder.

"I am sorry!" I sighed. He patted my head lightly as he put his head on my head.

"Muffin why are you awake so early in the morning?" He asked me and I looked at the time, it was 7 in the morning. Then he looked on my face and tsked.

"Or did you not sleep at all?" He looked at me with a scowl. I looked at him sheepishly as I try to give my best smile. He shake his head at me and smiled. This always works on him and sometimes on Noah too. But he can see through me like a glass so he always know what's going on my mind.

"When is Noah coming? I miss him" I pouted, it's been a week he is not home. He has gone on a business meeting in another city. My both brother's are businessmen, and very successful ones. They have to go out of city once in a while but one of them always stay behind with me.

It's only us three who lives in the house. After our parents death we were moved to our uncle's home but six years later when Caleb turned 18, he became our guardian and moved us back to our home. Since then we are living here in our own home.

I don't remember much about my parents because I was only two when they passed away but my brother's were always there for me. I never had to think about my parents because for me my brothers are my parents and my only family. They have fulfill their duty so well and I am very blessed to have them. They have never let me feel alone. I was always given everything I have ever wanted or even wished.

"Maybe next week, I am not sure" he said and I pouted. He flicked my forehead and stood up.

"Come on, we are having breakfast and you are not sleeping. This is your punishment for not sleeping the whole night" he told me and gave me a stern look but I know he is trying hard. I giggled and he seem to lose his composure.

"Okay" I said as I stood up. "But you are making the breakfast and I want French toast today" I told him and he nodded.

"Fine, go fresh up and meet me in the kitchen" he said and went out. I sighed, now I have to wait few more days to break this news to them. I want both of them to be there when I will told them about my acceptance in New York University. They both were against the idea of me going to New York to pursue my medicine degree but studying in New York University is my dream and I will do anything for it.

They think that I am a kid and I won't survive in the big City but its only their protective nature that made them think that. They have to know that I am 18 now, I am old enough to take care of myself. I know they would come to terms with it, they always do.

After getting ready I went downstairs to see my brother also dressed up and making French toast for me. He set my plate on the kitchen counter and motion me to eat as he made his own plate. I waited for him to sit me with me so we can eat. Its like a habit of not eating alone. One of them always eats with me so now I can't eat alone. He sighed as he saw me waiting for him he made his plate and sat with me. He poured orange juice for me and coffee for himself.

"Can I take one sip?" I asked eyeing his coffee, he is espresso kind of guy. So he never let me have his by saying its too strong for me.

"No" he grumbled as he ate his breakfast

"Please!" I gave him my puppy eyes so he complied and nodded while mumbling something under his breath. I giggled and took a sip, it's bitter but I always like to tease him. I made a face as I gulped down the sip. He chuckled at my reactions and looked at me as if saying 'told you so'. I huffed and sip my orange juice to wash down the taste of coffee.

"So tell me what are you doing today?" He asked me, I looked at him pushing my glasses up on my nose.

"I don't know I haven't planned yet, maybe I will read" I shrugged. I am bookworm, my room is filled with books and everyone close to me knows about my craze of books.

"You are accepted in the medical school, I received a call yesterday. We will go tomorrow for your admission" he told me and I gulped. He is talking about the medical school near our town which is almost an hour away from our home but how do I tell him that I am not going here.

"Uhmm about that..." I started, he turned towards me and read my face but I instantly looked away.

"Yes?" He asked.

"Uhmm actually few days ago.. I happen to apply for a ... University and they send me their acceptance letter." I told him and he looked at me with serious face.

"You did what?" He asked calmly.

"Look it isn't that bad, you and Noah also went to college in other cities so why can't I go. I am not a kid anymore, I can take care of myself" I reasoned.

"Which university?" He asked still so calm.

"Uhmm.. New York University" I told him and his calm face distort to angry one in a second but before he could say anything another voice piped in from behind us.

"No" it was only word but it was enough to tell me that this time I am not winning.