Chapter 5

"Where did you go after school?"

Craig asked me full of curiosity.

"I stopped and talked to this boy that I met named Ray. I was only supposed to be seeing why he wasn't at school which was because he doesn't go but then it started raining so I had to stay until it stopped."

He looked at me full of confusion & it seemed like something that I said unsettled him.

"It's something wrong ?"

I asked, hoping he would tell me what was running through his mind.

"That's just weird because our friend that died had the same name."

Aliana replied with a bit of sadness in her voice as well.

"Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't know."

"No it's fine. Don't sweat it."

Jacob began to say.

"Do you guys.. you mind.. telling me what happened?"

They all looked at each other, I guess deciding who would be the one that told the story & shortly after, Craig began to talk.

"Ray was at the fair with his girlfriend & on the way home, they got into a really bad accident. Miya, his girlfriend, was stuck inside of the car because the whole passengers side was underneath the bridge railing. By the time the paramedics came & cut her out of the car, she was dead. "

He paused for a second because his voice began to shake. Tears formed in my eyes because this was obviously very tough for them to take in.

"The police claimed that Ray was drunk but he said they were arguing and he stopped paying attention to the road but nobody would listen to that. Mostly her dad & at her funeral, her dad tried to attack Ray. It was obviously more than he could handle so he killed himself."

By this time, everyone was crying. I felt like shit for even asking them to tell me & I felt that they were kind of mind as well so I dismissed myself to my room & cried for at least thirty minutes.

I woke up to my phone vibrating beside me & sat up confused. My face was stained with dried up tears & my eyes felt swollen. I guess i'd cried myself to sleep. I looked at the clock to see that it was going on ten o'clock and got mad at the fact that i'd slept for two hours. I eventually grabbed my phone to see that it was Chresanto calling.

"Hello?"

I said in a raspy voice.

"Ewww did I wake you up ?"

I chuckled a bit & cleared my throat.

"Yea, you did actually."

"I'm sorry. You forgive me?"

"I guess."

I replied as I rolled my eyes. I wasn't really in the mood to talk to him since I heard he took Ajah home. I wasn't too sure what to think considering the fact that he'd taken this long to call me but I knew I liked him for even noticing it.

"You mad at me?"

"For what?"

"Taking Ajah home.."

"Why would I be? It's not like you're my boyfriend."

I said with a bit of unintentional attitude. He chuckled a bit obviously catching on to the fact that it did indeed bother me.

"Look Jessica, I haven't known you long but it's something about you that attracts me and I need to figure out what it is. Trust me when I tell you Ajah won't deter anything we are attempting to build. I don't expect you to believe that but I can definitely show you better than I can tell you."

He left me speechless for about five seconds before I finally responded.

"We will see."

---------

The next morning, I woke up feeling a little better about Chresanto & I. He'd offered to take me to IHOP for breakfast before school so I was up an entire hour and thirty minutes earlier than usual which was killing me. I got up, bathed, & slipped on my green & white adidas track suit, my green & white classic adidas with my hair flat ironed underneath a green & white Boston Celtics beanie. My phone vibrated from Chresanto calling me and telling me to come outside. I grabbed my books and purse & headed outside. The sun wasn't even fully up yet & I was tired as hell.

---

"Wake up! We're here sleepy head."

Chresanto said to me as I jumped up & viewed my surroundings. It was pushing 7:00 & the sun was starting to rise.

"It's about time."

I said as I yawned while stretching & opening the car door.

"It was only a ten minute ride though."

He said while cracking up & opening the door to go inside of IHOP.

-----

We ordered, ate, & then left for school. As we rode, I noticed that we past Ray's house so I decided to ask Chresanto if he knew him.

"Hey, do you know that boy Ray that lives on this street?"

He looked at me & his eyes were filled with hurt & a bit of confusion.

"The only Ray I know that lived on this street was our best friend that died."

"Oh no never mind. The kid I'm talking about is very much alive. Sorry for asking."

He nodded his head with his feelings obviously hurt so I left him alone until we got to school. I couldn't help but feel that something wasn't right with this Ray situation but I couldn't tell what. I surely couldn't have been talking to a dead person this whole time. Whoa. I can't believe I even thought about that. Of course I wasn't.

Ray's p.o.v.

I was laying in my bed watching tv. Man I needed a life. Oh yea, I took mine & now I'm stuck here for lord only knows how long. I flipped through the channels praying that something would be on. Who am I kidding? Nothing good is ever on this early. I saw a stream of light in the corner of my room then saw my grandma appear. She walked over to me & I stood up to give her a hug.

"Hey nana how are you ?"

I said as I sat back down on the bed & she sat down next to me.

"I'm fine baby just patiently waiting for you but I came to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"It's about Jessica."

"What about her?"

She paused for a second making me nervous.

"You can't talk to her anymore."

My mouth dropped to the floor in disbelief.

"But she's the only friend that I have nana please don't make me do this."

"I'm sorry baby but you're not supposed to allow the living to see you Ray. She can't know you're a ghost."

I just stared at her in disbelief. The one time in my after life that I actually felt better about the mistake I made was about to be snatched away just as fast as I got it. There had to be another way around this.