79

August

"Unc?"

"Yo!" I gave Chay my attention.

Walking outside where I was, she came and sat next to me.

"Wazzamin lah baybeh?" I side hugged her.

"Is Aug okay?"

"Why you ask?"

"He's been so quiet, even during lunch."

"Quieter than usual? You know how he gets when it comes to food." I joked.

"I know but he didn't even say anything when we were making jokes about it."

"He didn't?"

"No. That's not like him."

Letting out a sigh, I figured why he was. Since he woke up from his nap, my son's mood was still off.

"What's going on?"

"He over heard your momma saying maw still don't like Chrys."

"Oh!"

"Yeah and he questioned me and you know I'm gonna be honest with him."

"I know."

"Think you can talk to him for me? He'll listen to you."

"Okay." She agreed. "AUGUST!" She then yelled.

"Damn Chaylin!" I covered my ear.

"My bad." She laughed.

Shortly after my son appeared by the door way. Calling him over, he sat in the middle of us, leaning on me.

"What's going on bud? You've been quieter than normal." She spoke to him.

Looking up at me, I nudged him.

"I don't like that maw doesn't like my momma."

"I never liked it either." She admitted.

"You knew?"

"Yup but I don't take it on any more because I love your momma just as much as I love mine." She tickled him. "She's helped me through a lot so it doesn't matter to me."

"Oh okay."

"Your momma is amazing so don't even stress, aight?"

"Mhmm." He nodded.

Knowing my son, he just said that to please Chay. Getting up, he asked if he could get a snack, to which I allowed.

"He's still not happy huh?"

"Yup." I laughed. "He's coming into himself and is a critical thinker so he'll be fine."

"You're not worried about him."

"Nah. However he chooses to react to it, we'll be right by his side guiding him and his emotions."

"You're such a hippie like TiTi Chrysta." She laughed.

"She is my wife." I laughed as well.

"Thank you though."

"You're welcome." I answered.

"You don't even know what I'm thanking you for." She pushed me.

"I'm sure it's something good." I laughed.

"Lucky for you, it is." She laughed. "Thanks for everything and for choosing you. That really helped me."

"What you mean by that?"

"You chose your happiness, your peace over what anyone else wanted for you. You didn't settle for society's norms and expectations."

"Oh." I nodded.