36.

"Max"
"Maaxxx"
"Mmmmaaaaxxx"
"MAXIMUS GROVER"
Max groaned and swatted Val away from his precious slumber. "Maxxxx I want to go get a piercing" Val whined at the half sleeping boy, before Val could say anything else Max jumped out of bed and onto Val and squealed "ARE YOU SERIOUS" he yelled and Valentino chuckled, "that got you up quicker than expected" Max just giggled into Val's shoulder as Valentino carried him on his waist out to the dining room.
"Don't I need to get dressedddd" Max whined and Val just chuckled "youre not even in real pyjamas, you're wearing a black hoodie and jeans babe, you'll be fine" Max held onto Val's shoulders and kissed his nose "I'm just gonna sit this one out babe, I haven't slept in a few days" max yawned and explained, looking droopy.
Val just nodded and carried him back to bed, plopping him down.
"Goodnight my love, I'll be back soon with a new piercing-" before Val could finish his sentence Max was out like a light.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10.
That's how long it took for max to have a nightmare.
The nightmare.
The nightmare that haunts him.
-
-
-

The boy dropped to the ground as he was once leaning on the wall, he held his knees and sobbed as his father approached him eerily with a bat "we weren't finished our little chat maxxy" his father yelled powerfully.
"You're not real, you're dead, I saw your dead body being dragged out of the shed two months ago, you're not real!" Max screamed and closed his eyes hoping the image of his angry father with an angry bat would go away, "go away go away go away" he screamed louder as his sobs become more violent, his father just laughed as he approached quicker and quicker. he quickly got up and grabbed the sharpest thing he could find, he found a switchblade and put the blade up to his arm
"leave me alone, please I'm sorry, please I'm sorry."

"Max? Maxxx? MAX!?" Valentino yelled as he ran towards him.
Max had woken up with a knife pressed on his arm and he wasn't in his room where he had fell asleep, he was in the basement, sleep walking.
Val couldn't breathe. He was at a loss for words. Max had grabbed the knife just before Valentino heard distressed screaming, he had sliced his arm open to the very bone and had passed out from the oozing blood dripping from his open wound.
What has this nightmare done?