Chapter 10

''Are you going already, Shuichi?'' Kaito asked. 

''I'd stay, but Kaede is feeling a bit indisposed, as you can see.'' 

''Maybe we should stay. . . ! Please Shu-Shu-Shuitchy!'' Kaede vexed him with renewed pleading; but the detective was to be faithful to his word, and her dejection would in no way dissuade him.

''You said yourself that your grandma is probably worried, so we really should go.'' 

''This is amazing! You're so passionate and relentless in your hope, Shuichi. . . I can't-'' Nagito's outburst was cut short when he fell from his seat. 

''Gotcha!'' Junko cheered. ''Now don't get up ever again.'' 

''Would you like me to come with you guys? The more, the merrier,'' Kaito suggested. 

''The way back is not that long, so it's your choice.'' 

''Alright; you shouldn't get mugged, then. See you guys!" With this portentous salutation, everyone bid them farewell; except their taciturn sage and benefactor: Yasuhiro.

The stuffy atmosphere of the izayaka left them the moment they passed the threshold to the dark and windy outside. 

''I know where we are!" Kaede stated cheerfully. 

''What's your grandma's address?'' 

''I can't remember. . . But I think I-I have it on my phone – look!'' Kaede took it out of her pocket, and nearly smacked him in the face with it; and continued to hold it before him: presenting a lock screen with the picture of her and her friends – conventional, seemly, and proper; but not useful for grandma's location. 

''Can I see something?'' Shuichi asked. Kaede nodded and handed him the phone. ''Let's see'' 

Notes, or virtual scraps, were his foremost destination; and finding them in the variegated portmanteau of music, piano, fitness, and photo apps exhausted his investigation endurance for the rest of the evening. Finally, there it was, seemingly raised above the other apps: a virtual eureka; but that eureka needed a bit more patient unpacking, as a never-ending catalogue of notes appeared before him: messily serried, and contemptuous of chronological order.

''Where's your grandma's address?'' 

''I think you're in the right place, -itchy, so. . . you'll find it! I believe in youuu!'' Kaede shouted and jumped, tottering on her feet until Shuichi took hold of her. ''Sorry!'' 

''Okay, I got it, but it's actually pretty far off. I was convinced that it was closer,'' he said; deciding to follow through with the matter differently. ''You'll come with me, and my uncle will drive you back home, is that alright?'' 

''Yes. . . but I really don't want to go to school tomorrow!'' She complained. ''I just want to play on my piano.''